myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I think I suck!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If over powered, pinch up wind to reduce the power and than start the jib. Also check to make sure you are bending your knees. Drive them into the turn.
aslinde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

Stony beach becasue the house we stay at is right there and its easy -
My boardis 135 litre fanatic slalom board and it bounces all over the place catches wind beneath it - but I should be able to do this turn anyway.
I need more big days - thanks for all of the input.

art
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I too suffered (and still suffer regularly) from the I Suck syndrome. One thing I learned the hard way after a very long time was not to be afraid to sail smaller gear when conditions call for it. To this day I think I hold the record for most noses broken on boards in Margarita cause I insisted on sailing 140 liter boards in 30 knot winds with chop. Every time I tried to do something I got slammed, bounced out, thrown, pitched and abused in every way possible. Kind strangers tried to explain to me that I should be using 80 to 90 liter boards as they would be easier in those conditions; but I knew better and proceeded to break additional noses.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after taking out a WAAAAAy too big board in SF Bay, one of the ASD guys encouraged (shamed) me into taking out a 80 liter board instead of the 120 I was on. I immediately felt like a jackass for all those times I could have had fun but decided I needed a giant life preserver with me. Bottom line, I agree to not blame your gear, but sometimes it's just wrong and you actually need smaller gear to be able to sail. The difference was amazing.....120 liters flew off the tops of chop, bucked wildly all the time and just abused me when trying to initiate anything. When I got on the 80 liter, the board stuck to the water unless I wanted it to leave and the speed made the board solid enough under me to allow transitions. I have advanced so much more rapidly using the right gear for the conditions rather than struggling to stay in my comfort zone.

My issue was not skills, I had a strong water start, etc. For me it was just about getting out of my comfort zone with a big floaty board and understanding why smaller gear was such an advantage in stronger conditions.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in my sixth season this year and I feel like this year I am finally approaching the jibe I have always wanted. Fast planning jibes.
Over the years I have read a lot and watched a lot of video and video instruction, but I think the real difference for me this year has been the number of jibe attempts. This year I have sailed at a really small lake, right now I don't even think I get a quarter mile in on each reach. So I have been forced to jibe a lot. I mean, every session I am there I make around 100 jibe attempts. When I go to big lakes or the ocean I don't think I turn more than 20 times. I tend to go two or three miles out turn around and head back. Sometimes it is real easy just to go straight.
In my attempts not to suck at windsurfing I have tried learning some different freestyle tricks. I quickly learned that each trick take 100's of attempts to nail them on a regular basis. Some say that to nail a vulcan you need to practice the trick more than 400 times. That is also assuming that you can nail the four or five build up tricks to get to the vulcan. So you might be looking at around 2000 plus attempts to even get to that point.
What I am trying to say is windsurfing is difficult and takes a lot of practice to get good or not suck. Besides all of the good advice already listed on this thread, I would just like to add that you should jibe a lot to get good at it. Instead of only 15 -20 attempts per session crank it up to 100 plus attempts and your learning curve will accelerate.
A good session doesn't mean planning %100 of the time.
That is my experience and .02
aslinde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: wind Reply with quote

1) I am reading and listening - so thanks.

2) I need to try the right gear - I know it - just gotta find a way to demo a couple of different rigs so i can not piss away $1000.

3) what i wouldn;t give to hit 1000 jibes a week.... I cant get one 15+ day a week in Wash DC -

so its simple, bend knees, sheet in (front hand out, rear hand in), commit [by yelling f*** it], get new gear and move to a windy place - my wife says fine, my kids say fine, - so where is the best place to live as a windsurfer who wants to have a job also........

if all else fails - have a couple of beers.....
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beers !

people dont usually listen to me
WOW !!

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
...there are much more forgiving localities in Falmouth in a NW if you are a local.

There's a bunch of guys who post here who say good things about Waquoit Bay.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: wind Reply with quote

aslinde wrote:
where is the best place to live as a windsurfer who wants to have a job also

Define "job".
And how far are you willing to drive to windsurf?

\m/
aslinde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: job Reply with quote

Job - hmmm - good question, currently own a small real estate development firm- would like to do nothing but take my kids to school - help them with their homework and windsurf - for good wind I will drive hours - who wouldnt?

But in the Mid Atlantic its only windy on Mother's Day, My Anniversary, and when my kids are starring in peter pan's christmas bunny pageant.... or so it seems......
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: I think I suck! Reply with quote

Everyone who can jibe in heavy conditions has been where you are, first of all. I once proclaimed myself "the worst windsurfer in the world" after such a day.

Some other thoughts for you:

-Because the terrain prevents from reaching the top speeds you can in lighter chop or flatwater. you have more wind in your sail when you bear off. Increasing your downhaul will make the rig more forgiving across the board, but particularly when you bear off.

-Anything remotely tentative about your jibe entry is an invitation for the sail to try to rip the boom out of your hands. Enter assertively (say "I'd rather overdo it and fall than hold back and dab at the rail with my foot) and if the boom yanks anyway, let it go with your back hand and crank a tight jibe...the sail will come around.

-I agree with the comments about your board size...get smaller.

aslinde wrote:
Stony Beach, Woods Hole MA - NW winds 20+ to 30, 3+ foot swells, kind of chaotic - 5.6M 135L - i can blast back and forth no prob - but every time i try and jibe I fricking suck - sails ripped out of my hand as soon as i start to head off the wind and initiate the turn - of course to compenstate i pull back on the boom creating its own set of issues - Flat water or two foot chop i am fine (to 30+ winds) but as soon as a little sea comes up and a little wind my junk looks like a yard sail spread all over the fricking bay -

This email is just so that i am clear to my self that I know I suck -

and maybe fishing for someone to tell me how to unsuck myself!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: