myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fly to San Carlos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Fly to San Carlos Reply with quote

I have a trailer at Punta San Carlos and fly down about once a month for about a week.

I can accommodate one passenger willing to share expenses. I fly out of Brown Field, south of San Diego.

The restrictions are pretty much the same as those of Mike and Jose who fly sailors to PSC -- small bag with clothing change, wetsuit and harness. You would have to arrange with Kevin to rent gear ($65/day last I heard) and accommodation. Else if you have a friend(s) driving down, they could carry your gear (I am OK with a different person flying down and back).

The view from the air is worth the trip and I can follow the coast so you can see surf spots few know.

Your share of expenses will be around $200 - $250 roundtrip, depending on avgas price du jour. You must have a current passport.

E-mail me at bajaya@sbcglobal.net

San Carlos 4.0m 8ft waves world-class.jpg
 Description:
The surf+wind is not always this good. But is almost always better than SoCal. I have other pics.
 Filesize:  159.46 KB
 Viewed:  6011 Time(s)

San Carlos 4.0m 8ft waves world-class.jpg

rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Smile

What kind of plane yall got ? I flew with Mike a couple of years ago in his 172. got to circle Todos on the way back. It was 15 ' and looked tiny....

until he flew in closer Cool

like it was totally awesome. 1.5 hours ish and you were at Brown.

nice one bud. hopefully catch a ride some day
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Fly to San Carlos Reply with quote

My plane is a Maule taildragger.

It has a 220 hp fan (actually more like 210 hp) which is a bit bigger than Mike's 180 Cessna 172. The Maule is to a Cessna what a jeep is to a chevy. It is specifically designed for dirt strips; most of my landings are on Baja dirt -- no fun flying the bureaucratic b.s. onto manicured blacktop in Gringoland. The Maule's stall speed is 35 mph with its big fat vulture wings and droop tips. Most pilots feel that landing a taildragger is the ultimate test of flying skill. And with its short "close-coupled" fuselage, the Maule is the shortboard of airplanes. Us taildragger airmen swing our scarves about our necks and view Cessna pilots (tricycle gear) as airplane drivers, and Bonanza, etc pilots as airborne computer operators. When it's blowing in P.S.Carlos I have touched and stopped in about 50 ft. Most Maules go to Alaska. During Reagan's regime many were bought to fly supplies to the Contras in the jungles of S.America.

I have removed the rare seat (2 bolts) so I can carry more cargo (food, water, cement occasionally). So I have just the pilot + passenger, side-by-side. I own my Maule and have been flying it since it was new in 1972. For those concerned about my experience: I have flown my little Maule to Boston, Chicago, NY, Florida, Houston, New Orleans, Denver, Seattle, Portland, among others; but now most of my flying is to Baja.

San Carlos Seth far-left 4.8m overpowered.jpg
 Description:
San Carlos often is flat, but always fun.
 Filesize:  114.44 KB
 Viewed:  5954 Time(s)

San Carlos Seth far-left 4.8m overpowered.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: