myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Political rant - part quatre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Political rant - part quatre Reply with quote

Here's something we can all agree on, even isobars. Regardless of whether we believe in global warming - or should I say global warming caused by human activities - there's a lot of bad s#&t going on in the environment that we can do something about. Take for example the trash vortex swirling around the Pacific - as big as Texas, hundreds of feet deep, full of plastic waste, and right now showing up on the shores of Hawaii. Impossible to clean up, best we can do is try not to make it grow any bigger. So, next time you go shopping, pick up a canvas bag and a stainless steel water bottle. Use those in lieu of plastic grocery bags and plastic water bottles. Or, just think about what you buy at the store. Maybe you could get meat from the meat counter, wrapped in paper rather than those plastic trays. Maybe you could do a better job recycling.

Think about where your food comes from. Some stores specialize in locally grown produce. I prefer a salad made from lettuce grown in my county rather than something trucked across the state from a mega farm.

Here's a great idea I just found out about. Tired of tossing 3 pounds of catalogs each day between Haloween and New Years? Most of the stuff they sell is garbage anyway, and more than most people can afford to spend. Check this site out:

http://www.catalogchoice.org

It's a non-profit free service, where you tell them which catalogs you want to stop receiving. They take care of it for you. Should see results in 10 weeks. I don't know if I can believe this, but they say each year, 53 million trees are used in printing catalogs. Incredible. Now I have a reason to actually look at them before I toss them in the trash.

If anyone else has some ideas along these lines, post them. I could use some pointers.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: