myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board volume; floater or sinker?????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't qualify as a big guy at 160-165 lbs. I am a little on the nimble side and have tacked my 90 liter board in non-planing conditions and also have a 115 L board. Many times in choppy water at Sherman Island I have dropped my sail doing a manuever on my 115 L board and simply uphauled the sail with no problems even in large chop/swell. I also dropped my sail and easily uphauled on a 96 L Vector in Hawaii so I thought I could easily uphaul. Wrong!

There is a huge difference between already standing on the board and trying to get up on the board as I found out last summer at Donner Lake. I was launching my 115 L board with big chop/swell in a cove that created a wind shadow so I was unable to beach start. I tried to climb up and uphaul... Splash! Tried again...Splash! I felt like a total novice. I gave up and swam my board to the wind line, waterstarted and sailed. And later on doing a tack I dropped the sail and guess what?.... uphauled again.

So when a 200 + lber says he can climb up and uphaul a 120 L board in big swell I am impressed. From my experience, at your weight, I would not sail a board that size unless I could water start.

Coachg
D-wo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou~R2 wrote:
The Exocet that I think you mean is a 2006 Cross FSW (FreeStyleWave) 117L, same board in 2007 is 118L a Cross. The name that some companys put on there products is not aways the way to translate their intended use.
In this size , this would be a large I dont think you will find a true WAVE board, goes back to the name thing......

This and the Tabou 3S are Crossover boards.

If someone had, and someone probably does, you probably wouldn't want so large a true wave board, least not for what you described.

I totally agree. Because of my size I always have to have two wave boards. My "small" board is an 8'5" and probably 80+ liters. Of course, I always want to be on that board, but need a steady 20 knots and maybe even a bit more if the surf is big. So, yes, an 115 liter board is not a true wave board, but I'm looking for something that will float me out and perform decently in the surf. The Kona seems to be a whole 'nuther ball of wax, sort of a long board/ paddle board sort of thing. Naish used to make a board called the "Floater" and I think that RRD made a similar board, but I don't know if they are still available. My other option is to get down to 220 (in Tabou range) but I'm not sure if that is possible since I am pretty skinny right now.

madmax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Boards, Reply with quote

Hey D,

I have the exocet 103l, I'm 180lbs, it is more of a cross over board than totally wave. But that's what makes it fun, I use it in all situations, its fast to plane, its fast, and turns like a dream. Also very forgiving in turns, good balance to the board. I was actually considering the 117l for lite wind days to play on the waves...

Max.

PS regarding original question for 200 + pounder I would not go much different that the 120l. And learn to water start with floater, you already know that board so you can just focus on getting up.
willv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Exocet Cross 117/118 - for a BIG GUY Reply with quote

D-Wo:

I weigh 250lbs and have been sailing the Exocet Cross 117 (now have a 118) for about 4 yrs (as soon as the first Cross's came into the US I had one).

I find that it is an EXCELLENT wave board option for guys at our weight, given the proper fin, and footstrap placement. Fin I use is the Wardog/True Ames Freeweed swept fin (10 inch), and the footstraps set inboard (in front) and only 1 strap in back.

I use this setup very effectively with sail sizes 6.8 down to 5.3 - so about 18MPH of wind to 25MPH (depending on wind quality).

There are tons of pics of me on that board - riding waves, not to mention jumping etc... Email if you'd like to see any and I can send you some low-res copies....

Good luck with your sailing!

WillV.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Board volume; floater or sinker????? Reply with quote

It will be a sinker. It won't sink to the bottom of the lake, but it will be under water if you find yourself uphauling it. More important than whether or not it's under water is can you uphaul and shlog a sinker (if you can't yet waterstart it's doubtful you have the skills required).

So this will be a higher wind board for you. Learn to waterstart ASAP (get Dasher's video...it may only be on VHS but it's worth it) and then go out and have fun. It's a great size for you.

danswright13 wrote:
I recently ordered a jp x-cite ride 120 and am starting to worry that it will be a total mistake. I have been using a 160 liter board, and it floats very high out of the water. I weigh around 230lbs. I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not the 120 liter board will be a floater or a sinker for me. I plan on using the lower volume board to learn to waterstart on, but I'm hoping it will float enough in emergency situations where I have to uphaul. Any ideas?????

carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go4it wrote:
Dude you will be fine...you will be able to up haul no problem it will be a little unstable but managable...great board ...enjoy..

Danswright,
Be carefull of advise from people much lighter than you (even people
working at a w.s. shop). They often have no idea how much more
difficult an extra 30-50lbs can be, especially when the board is on the margin of being a sinker. A wide 120L board can be a stable as a dock
for a skilled 180Lbder and it will give them the illusion that it must be good for someone much heavier. Experience also plays a big part in being able to uphaul a small board.
D-wo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danswright,

Take the time to learn to waterstart. The time you spend learning will pay off one hundred fold over the next years as you continue to sail. As a large sailor, waterstarting will be much easier than up hauling and will revolutionize your sailing experience. You'll be able to use smaller boards, larger sails and sail in a much greater variety of conditions and venues. Watch the DVD, try it and then do it. You won't be disappointed.

David
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link:

http://www.calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=55

That will give you a visual of a 220 lb person on a 130L board.

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou~R2 wrote:
The Exocet that I think you mean is a 2006 Cross FSW (FreeStyleWave) 117L, same board in 2007 is 118L a Cross. The name that some companys put on there products is not aways the way to translate their intended use.
In this size , this would be a large I dont think you will find a true WAVE board, goes back to the name thing......

This and the Tabou 3S are Crossover boards.

If someone had, and someone probably does, you probably wouldn't want so large a true wave board, least not for what you described.

Please sail first then talk. There are way too many days when the wind and waves offer less than optimal conditions. Larger folk notice this way more than the average. Too big is relative to a Maui mindset. I've seen too many sailors come home from there and the gorge with a geo-specific board and promptly quit windsurfing.

Exocet Cross 117 and 118 are called that. Their target market raves about them for all types of venues. I have often been the only sailor out in some mighty big stuff in fairly light winds on the 117 a few years ago. It never felt too big for waves. Wardog has plenty of pictures showing the Santa Barbara windsurfers enjoying theirs too.

www.Exocet-Original.com has some pics of Patrice and company sailing waves in very little wind on the Konas. BTW the 11,5 and 10,5 rip up and down waves. Been there done that. I'm looking forward to many more sessions on them, early and often. :~)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: