myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing vehicle, Mini Van ,SUV,Honda Element or box van
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing vehicle, Mini Van ,SUV,Honda Element or box van Reply with quote

I recall a thread but didn't find it, but I think it was more for a car or small station wagon.

I plan to cross the USA several times in 08.What I would desire is a unit that would accomadate 3 or more boards and sails booms masts to support those, DO NOT want anything on the roof, but may chnage that to a box to carry sails & masts. Of course a fin box, wetsuits camping gear. Be nice to have a small sleeping area, but could make do with moving some things around to make that work. I can make racks , boxes , to store things, but want easy access to boards and gear.

I think a box van would be best, but dont like the MPG, I remember someone making a AWD van ?
Will a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna haul this stuff ? The MPG on these or Element are good.
Do the seats remove ?

The Honda Element seems to fit the requirements as well ?

And I dont think that the SUVs get decent MPG, and do the seats remove as well to hold gear inside ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan that, when the back seats and the 3rd row seat are removed, can haul all the stuff you just mentioned inside the van and also allows you to sleep inside, nothing to put on the roof. It also has tinted windows for privacy. Any minivan would do the trick, very reasonable gas milleage, some modern versions are AWD too.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Ford E150 cargo van, and carry inside 4 boards, 7 sails, 4 booms, 7 masts, 3 wetsuits, and everything else I need. Plenty of room for camping gear, and I lay a sleeping bag on an air mattress down the middle to sleep. To see how I have thevan set up, check out this page and the links to the photo album on my blog.

If you go the cargo van route, get a light duty van (like the E150). A heavy duty van (like an E350) will have its suspension set up for carrying a ton (literally) of cargo, and with your light windsurfing stuff the ride will be terrible.

The only thing I'd change about the van if I could would be to make it 4WD, otherwise it's an outstanding shredmobile. Gas mileage is not great (20mph highway) but the vehicle itself is so inexpensive to buy and maintain that I don't sweat it.

Seperately, I did not know that there's enough room behind a minivan's driver's seat to fit boards (that would be 8 feet minimum). I would get into any minivan you're looking at, and think about exactly where you're going to put your boards. When I set up my van I had to plan around a 9'3" board. It had to go low in the rack because the the back of the driver's seat angles towards the rear, and the amount of clearance you have at floor level is more than what you have 3 feet off the deck.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinter, for my money.
Mercedes traction control for safety and snow, Mercedes diesel engine that will last forever, mid-20s mpg, cavernous square interior, many creature comforts up front where it counts, stand up inside, rear doors open totally out of the way. My Odyssey minivan is fancier and more fun to drive hard, but it has half the volume and gets a little under 20 mpg. (My buds with E-150s get low to mid teens, not 20 mpg.)

\m/
carl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I have a Dodge Grand Caravan that, when the back seats and the 3rd row seat are removed, can haul all the stuff you just mentioned inside the van and also allows you to sleep inside, nothing to put on the roof. It also has tinted windows for privacy. Any minivan would do the trick, very reasonable gas milleage, some modern versions are AWD too.

The LONGER minivans will be much better, like Odyssey, Seinna, Grand Caravan. The new Siennas have a "fold flat" passenger seat so you could
setup a board rack on that side, if you don't have a passenger. The Odyssey, you have to put boards on their edge down the middle (flip the drink console down). But you'll have to take things out to make a bed. Or shorter boards will fit on a rack with the passenger seat rolled all the way forward (the seat is unuseable though). MPG on Ody has been good. 25mpg w/straight hiway, 20-22 combined. MPG will be much worse with a roof box though.
Caribsurf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a Honda Element at my house in Florida and it is an amazing car. Perfect for watersports and dogs. I have roof racks but don't even need to use them as any windsurfer or surfboard up to 9 ft fits inside perfectly as does all the gear. The interior is plastic lined so you can hose out the whole car when necessary. Has a MP3 aux jack for ipods on those long drives, and is easy to park fun to drive and holds a ton. Despite it's smaller size, it isn't very aerodynamic so don't expect the greatest gas mileage..good but not great.

I would recommend this car to anyone
Caribsurf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a Honda Element at my house in Florida and it is an amazing car. Perfect for watersports and dogs. I have roof racks but don't even need to use them as any windsurfer or surfboard up to 9 ft fits inside perfectly as does all the gear. The interior is plastic lined so you can hose out the whole car when necessary. Has a MP3 aux jack for ipods on those long drives, and is easy to park fun to drive and holds a ton. Despite it's smaller size, it isn't very aerodynamic so don't expect the greatest gas mileage..good but not great.

89Spring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a regular cab long bed Dodge Cummins 4x4, more of a work truck but with the long bed and a shell everything plus the kitchen sink fits in the bed. We are planing on a drive from Key West to SF this summer. Right now two boards seven sails four rigs two booms and bunch of fins extns etc etc. My plan is to build a rack on the driver side to stack four boards and put the sails on the outboard side of the rack up against the shell and then the rigs fins and what not under the bottom board. I figure with this set up I can set up a bed for the two of us in the remander of space elavated and use the space underneath for storage. The diesel gets solid 22 on the highway with a range of over 600 miles. Also diesel is easy in MEX and I can run Bio Diesel which I know isnt a cure but its a step forward. If its space your after a full size fan is the way to go. Me personally I hate driving vans cant see very well and too top heavy and rolly. Some body earlier said not to get a 3/4 ton van for the ride quality which is right. The suspesion is tuned to carry lots of weight but you can get diesel vans.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caribsurf wrote:

Question
How much gear will the Element swallow up ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Caribsurf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend this car to anyone[/quote] Question
How much gear will the Element swallow up ?[/quote]

typically I carry two boards 9ft and 8ft, 4 sails 5.2 to 6.6, 2 masts 430 and 460 2 booms and a large plastic container with fins, universals etc
I also have a cooler with drinks food If I needed to carry any more gear I probably could. And still have the roof racks if I needed

In order to do this the back seats are tucked up and the front seat fully reclined. There would still be room for a suitcase or two but no room for a 2nd passenger.

you should go and test drive one...they are very well designed and were made with people like us in mind...best of all its a Honda dependable and will hold it's value some
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: