myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing/camping Vegas area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo5779

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: windsurfing/camping Vegas area Reply with quote

looking to escape Colorado winter here for a week or 2 maybe do a little windsurfing .. not enough time for Baja.. was thinking of Las Vegas area Lake Mead or Bullhead. I have a small RV and looking for a place to camp, hang out and maybe sail a bit. Questions: are there sailing spots where you can camp ? what is trhe sailing like - I'm assuming the wind is frontal? suit 4/3?
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUT $5 on the pass line for me. I'm good for it.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Lake Mojave (go south about 1.5hr from Vegas) is much better in winter/spring than Lake Mead.
Do a search for the sail/camp sites (sorry I have not been there).

There's $5 tables in Vegas?? I thought they were all $10,,,, too many
LA surfers trying to win "new board" money.

Come-on lucky 7,,,,,BABY NEEDS A NEW BOARD,,,,,,,YA!!
82dbar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about five campgrounds located near Boulder City and they are open all year around. The most wind comes in around the marina there and is gusty and infrequent. You can rig at the marina and sail to the other side but the water is foul. Good luck
zlowman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Vegas windsurfing Reply with quote

Hello.....Vegas is in the Desert.............

Want a water sport destination away from snow........go to Maui.....

Get rid of that gas hog RV and fly...its cheaper

windsurfing in the desert....what are people thinking????
rlshirey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best windsurfing tends to be on Lake Mojave north of Katherine's Landing at Cabinsite. You can not camp at the launch site but there is camping at Katherine's landing and about 10 miles away in Bullhead City. Many Canadian's come down for the winter and sail there. The strongest winds are from the North and usually coincide with the Santa Anas in Los Angeles. Expect 25 to 30 mph wind in the 70's F when there are Santa Anas. The water will be in the low 50's F.

The launch is very rocky. It consists of 3 to 5 inch cobble stones and can be hard on your gear if you don't have something to set it on.

I sail there 3 or 4 times a year in the winter for my high wind fix.
STEIN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabin point works on a Northerly(santa ana's), if the wind is Southerly, try 6 mile cove. It's about 2 miles south of Cottonwood Cove, down the road toward the lake, then a few miles on a dirt road, from Serchlight NV. Free Camping right on the water, with pit toilets. Good Luck.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO TO SIX MILE COVE IF YOU WANT TO CAMP ON THE WATER. ITS JUST A FEW MILES SOUTH OF COTTON WOOD LANDING. THIS SITE PICKS UP BOTH THE NORTH AND THE SOUTH WIND. ITS ABOUT 10 MILES ON A DIRT ROAD BUT REALLY WORTH THE TRIP ONCE YOU GET THERE. DEPENDING ON THE WATER LEVEL IT CAN BE A ROCKY OR SANDY LANCH. THE WATER IS REALLY CLEAR AND CLEAN. THE FISHING IS PRETTY GOOD IN THE COVE ABOUT 10 MIN HIKE TO THE NORTH. THE SOUTH WIND FILLS INTO THE BEACH BUT THE NORTH WIND IS A BIT OF A SLOG TO THE WIND LINE. THIS PLACE CAN BE AS GOOD AS ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY IF YOU HIT IT RIGHT. I SAIL THERE ABOUT 10 TIMES A YEAR AND ITS ALWAYS A FUN TRIP. BRING EVERYTHING YOU NEED CAUSE THE NEAREST STORE IS IN SEARCHLIGHT OR COTTONWOOD COVE............TONY
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vegas windsurfing Reply with quote

zlowman wrote:
windsurfing in the desert....what are people thinking????

Does NM qualify as a desert? I've seen stronger winds and bigger lakes in landlocked NM than I've ever seen in the Gorge. We could often sail barefooted all winter in NM, not even counting its big heated lake. The Gorge gets bigger swell, of course, but I have sailed overhead swell on two of NM's lakes. I have hundreds of days on tiny sinkers there. You can (or at least could when I lived there) leave your van doors open 24/7 as you sail and sleep alone. There are virtually no mosquitoes. When I got to one big lake and found the park closed for the winter, the Corps of Engineers gave me a key to the park gate and said, "Have fun, and leave the key in the gate when you leave." We've had the rangers launch boats to rescue us numerous times, without charge even for 20-mile rescue trips. Power boats and jet-skis are not a problem; we can jump their wakes or get far away from them, as we wish. Launch sites? Pretty much any spot a Hummer can get to at some of the lakes, including the biggest one and half its 200-mile shoreline. Beaches? Hell, that's all NM IS is one big sandy beach, occasionally blessed by water.

I'm thinkin' the desert, at least that one, was pretty danged good except for the long drive from civilization to the best lakes.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: