myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Favorite drysuit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredvet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Favorite drysuit Reply with quote

Hi, my old Bare polarheat is as leaky as a sieve and needs replacement. I was prepared to get another Bare but was told that the O'Neill Boost is a better choice because it is also dry but easier to put on for a second session where the Bare will still be wet and cold. I haven't ever seen anyone wearing the Boost and was wondering what peoples experiences were with it or other favorites. Thanks.
Kenjo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Oneil Hybrid drysuit and am now in my third year of use. With armorwear winter long underwear underneath I am comfy in 34 degree water and 40 degree air temp. I would rate the suit at 99% dry. I experience a slight bit of seepage through the legs even w/ the velcro ankle straps but nothing really to complain about.
jp4wind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ...I have an Ocean Rodeo Pyro drysuit. I have not tried any others to compare. And, If I ever need to replace my drysuit, it will be Ocean Rodeo again...

Just to add a little different flavor in the soup.

Go Ocean Rodeo!! Smile
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a drysuit, but I bought a Pro Motion 5/3 Storm this year, and it works great. Very, very warm. Been sailing in 45-50F air temps, and as low as 38 degree water. Pretty easy to get on and off as well.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the baggy drysuit, and actually sold it because I was getting tired of having to care for the seals all the time, and at $30 a pop they can get expensive to replace. In addition, I had read that if you do get a hole and it did fill with water, you'd be in trouble. This was enough to scare me.

I now have a Pro Motion 5/3 "Drysuit". It's not dry like my baggy suit, but certainly limits water intake and is a heck of a lot easier to get on and off. Plenty warm and, to me, more comfortable. If the water's really cold I will wear a little heater shirt inside. With the baggy suit I used to wear long underware and a fleece, which was cozy......but I'd still trade that coziness for the ease of getting to suit on and off and not having to worry about me being filled up with water and sinking to the bottom.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the weightless feel, total freedom of motion, air and water temperature versatility, lack of clamminess all day wet or dry, comfort all day on water and land (if you buy the relief zipper), 99% dryness, and outstanding factory service of my Kokatat Goretex suit. I knew it was an absolute winner in my very first reach in it. It's like sailing in pajamas at perfect temperatures

HOWEVER ... they cost around $800, are a nuisance -- sometimes even a PITA -- to get on and off (but require no assistance), and vary very significantly in how long they stay dry. Some keep the water out for years, others let water in after only a couple of days' use. Mine kept me truly dry for a couple of years, at which point the fabric lost its waterproofness. Kokatat gave me a new suit.

Of course, bags can kill if they flood, but these things are tough. One guy cut his leg on his fin through his Kokatat, but couldn't even find a mark on the suit. Cuff maintenance takes minutes (applying 303 Protectant) every few weeks, and in the rare event a seal needs replacement, it's a quick DIY task. I can't imagine the fabric outlasting a properly maintained seal.

The best deal I've eve seen on Kokatats is from REI during their annual springtime 20%-off-one-item sale.

\m/
morwind4me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
and in the rare event a seal needs replacement, it's a quick DIY task.
\m/

M,

You've been raving about this suit for years....so something must be right about it. I am curious, though, where do you buy the material to re-do the seals...and how do you do it (neatly and completely). Any websites that have some directions?

Also, one thing I did when I had my bag suit was baby powder my feet and hands. That helped a TON with getting the suit on and off.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morwind4me wrote:
where do you buy the material to re-do the seals...and how do you do it (neatly and completely). Any websites that have some directions?

Also, one thing I did when I had my bag suit was baby powder my feet and hands. That helped a TON with getting the suit on and off.

I haven't had to replace a bag suit latex seal since about 1985, but the seals are available off the shelf by themselves or in full kits. Google something like dry suit latex seals. To install, one just peels off the dead seal, sticks a round object in the cuff to support it, and glues on the new seal. One source among many is at http://tinyurl.com/yoabgp .

Yes, talc eases donning the suit, but that's the easy part anyhow. The hassle is getting them off, especially over wet skin. The real hassle is removing the ankle seals, and the absolute cure for that is panty hose, presuming one is wearing booties. The folks who wear booties swear by the optional attached Goretex socks/booties, but I sail barefoot. I'll sometimes put on the suit wearing panty hose and just cut off the hose feet after putting on the suit. I do the same thing with neoprene dry suits if they have tight ankle cuffs (or jut cut the cuffs off, as I had to on one Pryde suit.)

Mike \m/
jp4wind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes..I have given it lots of thought about tearing my O.R suit...but I'm not going to let panic + fear paralyze my mind. I think you have to worry about more about getting in your car + driving to the beach...

I spray my seals with silicone spray..replacing the gaskets is no big deal

I replace my wetsuits every few years as well

some people like macintosh apples, other like Fuji..and some don't like dem apples at all! Very Happy

it's all good..step outside the box..you might be pleasantly surprised Cool

Water temp here off the NJ coast is 44 degrees + the SW wind will be blowing on Friday...I'll be toasty warm + ripping ( Ihope Smile )...

Definitely, my playin in the wind pattern changes in the winter...short runs off the beach, I make sure a friend is around....but at least I am able to get in the water!

Give it a go!
sundowner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ION quantum semi-dry !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: