myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hip Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavernegonzales

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Hip Replacement Reply with quote

Is there anybody out there that had a hip replacement and is still windsurfing?
theq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy, Dave, who had hip replacement surgery a couple of years ago and still sails at Leo Carillo. He doesn't seem to be having any problems that I've seen or heard about. I don't know that he spends any time, or keystrokes, perusing or posting here on the MB. FWIW: He's a pretty young guy (early thirties?) , which probably helped his recovery. Good luck.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local Marin sailor has been sailing for 10+ years with an artificial hip. He's not your typical bay sailor. Sails mostly formula. Doesn't race, but probably gets more time on the water than anyone I know.

Steve
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a kiter (was a windsurfer) in Ventura, Gary Ward, that had a hip replacement probably about 10-12 years ago in his late 40s. Before he had it done, he was going downhill really fast, as it was beginning to cripple him to the point that he was having a rough time just walking. Now, you would never guess that he had it done, and he goes for the big air too.
south-west

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had my left hip replaced two years ago. i waited until november after the season was over to have it done and i was sailing at waddell by april 1st. with no problems. (besides having kiters buzzing around me like flies).
~s.west
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hip Replacement Reply with quote

lavernegonzales wrote:
Is there anybody out there that had a hip replacement and is still windsurfing?

Lots. It's also been discussed before, so you can search on "hip" and find more responses.

\m/
mrkhm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Bilateral hip Reply with quote

I know a guy in late 40s who has had bilateral hip replacement about 5 years ago. He still goes to Maui for wave sailing every fall for one month. Best of luck. I hope to see you at Rio with the NY times. Chuck
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. SISTO out of woodland Hills specializes in Sports ortho.

Make sure they cement the acetabular portion.

EG IE call them . They are the best guys I have ever worked with!
madmax7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Hip Reply with quote

I had my hip resurfaced in LA by Dr. Amstutz, had needed a new hip by the age of 36 (physical overdo), and put off replacement till I could not take it any more.

In 2007 FDA approved hip RESURFACING, not replaced, but its been a procedure that s been around over 15 years. Had mine done in 12.2007, was back sailing the following March.

What I like about this procedure is that they dont cutt off a large portion of your femoral bone and they dont put a big shank into the femur. Thus keeping a better anatomical integrity of how your leg and hip perform. Thus reducing chances of issues of dislocation or femoral bone problems.

Im doing great, it incredible to be without pain...

Best wishes to you, but look into Hip Resurf and all the advantages before you settle for Replacement. In my research I found it incredible to listen to traditional Ortho docs talk it down without having a clue about the procedure. But I guess status quo is hard to overcome.

There s also a pretty good web site where a large group of "surface hippies" (folks like myself who have had this done ) will give you more info. It's amazing to see the number of athletes that have opted for resurf and are back on track to continue abusing their physiques and pushing to the limit.

Max.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: