myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Onofre?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eghoffman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: San Onofre? Reply with quote

Has anyone sailed there? I'm in San Diego with a new standup board with a mast-track & want to try out super-light wind wavesailing. The Hawaiian guys make it look like you can have fun on an 11' board with a 5.5 & it seems like this area would be prime for it. Does anyone know the best wind directions, tides, breaks / trails, etc.? I figure I'll bring a paddle &, if the wind doesn't cooperate, maybe I'll get bored enough to actually paddle out.

Also, anywhere else between SD and San Clemente that someone has tried? Thanks.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen San O blow about 12 knots side/side-off at least twice. (only been there a few times). If I had my rig, I would have gone out. Looks like a good place for standup paddle windsurfing, or regular windsurfing if there is more wind. You would probably want to launch at the southern end of Old Mans (where the kayak surfers launch). Also, I have windsurfed at Dana Point at the Ocean Institute; side shore light wind, TINY launch, medium sized waves, it's a crappy place to sail.
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman, you might be a SUP-windsurfing pioneer in the area if you want to be... lighter wind is the rule, but with the right gear, it might work well. iWindsurf has some decent coverage in the area to help you on your quest:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=138&regionProductID=1&Isection=Gmap+Obs

Screen grab is from 7:30AM so yeah the wind is super light right now:

San O +.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.92 KB
 Viewed:  14577 Time(s)

San O +.png

loopless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you are in Far North SD County - if you want to come further S and get some more wind than San O you could try Tourmaline. The friendly surfers might welcome the diversion

"Windsurfer! lets throw rocks at him" ( don't laugh it happens)
"Uggh, but he's on a long board - lets hug him"
"But he has a sail - grog doesn't understand -my head hurts"
pgaudette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Might need a little NW wind to get sideshore but I've seen it many days where it would have been sailable for longboard windsurfing like you are talking about (and rarely for wave/b&j). Go all the way to the end of the lot though where the SUPers go. Nice slow reef with long rides. Beware of low tide - the whole area is covered with cobblestone and that end is particularly shallow. Would be cool to see you out there.
San Clemente sensor is a better indicator than the ones at Pendleton or Oceanside. Good luck.
flynbri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: San Clemente Wind & SUP Reply with quote

I've been working off Pico in San Clemente for about 2 years now and hoping to score a day here soon. It has blown maybe a dozen times but I never have my gear with me. I have surfed and skated during lunch prettty often but I have yet to sail in SC. The beach is awesome the water is aquamarine blue and there our nice waves! I live in HB so I sail 98% of the time after work or on weekends. It's another 40 miles but you will be able to sail at least 4 days a week in the Summertime! Wink
eghoffman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - good info. It sounds like it has potential. I actually live right by Tourmaline - it just seems like it blows onshore so often, I thought I'd see what else is out there.

Andrew - You're the Australian guy, right? You may remember me getting worked a couple of seasons ago when I tried to take an Exocet Kona out at Tourmaline. I sold that & bought a 10'10" Sean Ordonez & have a new 8'10" super-high volume custom that's supposed to be delivered today. I had to sit out last season with a neck injury, but I'm doing what I can do maximize my days on water this year. If you ever want to try one of them out, PM me. I'm hoping that it could open up a lot of Raul's days, too, but I'm not crazy about driving down there unless I'm with other people. Maybe even Shipwrecks or something further south. I guess I'm just too lazy to spend 8 hours in the car to get to San Carlos...
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day mate! I wondered where you and your Kona disappeared to.

Until I learnt better I had a few wasted trips to San O - it is nearly always lighter than even Tourmaline ( if that is possible).

On a good day Rauls seems to attract a few kiters now, so you generally would have company - although I saw one of the guys get stung for $200 last year by the local mexican 'gringo tax' collector just before the toll road. That may keep the numbers down.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighter, but hopefully a better direction!
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: San Onofre winds Reply with quote

I have sailed San Onofre a few of times. Though 99.9% of the time it is very light I have caught a few sessions in the winter and early spring on storm fronts. Each time was totally powered 5.0, 96liter board, in the rain. The wave set up was awesome on the outside with head high long lines to surf. Be aware that when it rains the park often closes so you either walk in or get there before the close or off season.

The wave set up is what makes it such a popular longboard surf spot. When I lived in the area I surfed it almost every day for a few years. Very rarely barrels, with waves that break slow and long, which makes for a nice for windsurf wave riding on the 1-2 days per year that it offers up real wind.

The surf crowd there is quite pleasant but it is always very very crowded. I have seen as many as 10 longboarders sharing one wave with 30-50 more waiting in line for the next. So, if you sail there on a sub 12k day keep the harmony and don't take the waves. Pick a spot on the edge of the 3 breaks and ride the leftovers if there is a crowd.

On one of those rare windy days you'll find it to be a really fun ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: