myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
115 Madd or Tabou Rocket 115?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: 115 Madd or Tabou Rocket 115? Reply with quote

Hi,

Looking to get feedback on these boards.

I am looking to ound out my quiver on the lower end.
I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs. I use a 160 Nash Icon on light days with a
8.0 and 9.0 Sailworks. I have a 145 Fanatic Bee (2001) for high teens/low 20's with a 6.6 and 5.5. In the mid 20's the board gets hard to handle and lifted with the longer nose and excessive chop.

I'm fully planing and in the straps with waist or seat harness. More pivot jibe/tacking but have been able to pull off the occasional carve jibe recently.

I plan to use the 115 with a 6.6. 5.5 and 4.3 in mid/upper 20's+ days and it pretty big New England chop.

I am looking from a 145 to a 115 and skip over the 120L. it appears
the 115 range is somewhat limited and have narrowed it down to these two boards. I also considered a JP Excite but ruled that out since I've heard their shape is more freeeride versus the Madd 115 which is more freestyle wave designed and really slashy and the Tabou apparantly is similar but really good in chop.

My goal is to get a board that is more of a freeride/high wind bump and jump with some smooth rounded rails also for smaller wave sailing which I'm aspiring too ride this summer.

I wanted to go maybe to a smaller Liter size (105/107 etc) but I live in New England and with the summer wind and my size, it may be too small to get planing and have very limited use.

The 2007 MADD 115 has a green/red top not the blue/gray top 2006.

Help! I'm down in Hatteras right now and want to pick up something before I leave.

Post response here or email me direct @ gq4u_2000@yahoo.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rocket 64/LTD 115L 2007 version. Every test I have seen, mostly from either Windsurf or Boards both UK mags the odd N.American test as well have raved about the Rocket line.
My 115L replaced a JP X-Cite Ride 120L, and I prefer it quite a bit more.

I read carefully your requirements, and the only part I would have any reservation on is the size, for your weight. I feel that mine is more like a 110L board, realize that the liter may be + or - 2 %, common thought. This board felt small to me, but the JP I think was understated. I think the standard version is good enough a little more durable, no so quick to plane.

The Rocket will handle everything you asked about, plane very early,
turns great, footstraps are OK, will use till they need replaced, fin is MFC designed, so good. They are fast, make that FASTTTTTTTTT
I sailed the 115L at Salvo on a really good day on a 6.0, it was in the zone.
There were no dealers last year in OBX for Tabou, Gorge Surf Shop in Hood River. They will give expect advise if you call.
I got the 140L version as well but late in the year,for light wind,not as much time on it, but quite nice, a cross between a small formula board and salom board.
Tabou Rocket. YES Cool ......possibility is the 3S in 107L

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has been replacing all his JP's with Madd's and he really loves them because it allows him to sail overpowered easier. I've sailed them in flat water and chop, not in waves. To me they seemed more geared for control than speed, which would be a good thing in waves.

Tabou~R2 said the Rocket was "FASTTTTTTTTT." That would be a concern for me in waves as I like my wave boards to be on the slow side.

Another board to consider is the Naish ATV.

Coachg
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not consider the Mistral Synchro 115 while you are at it. The '07s are going cheap.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rocket will handle the "quoted" small wave riding, whose determination of small will undoubtly be different.

More of a Crossover the 3S in 107L.

Lots of boards to consider in these ranges, of the 2 proposed, I answer for the 1 that I know about.

His weight in small waves would slow this board down.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
SteveFoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an '07 Mistral Syncro 115l. Planes early, excellent control in chop, feels responsive and manueverable. Only mild criticism I have is the top speed feels average to me. Overall, the board works very well for me (186lbs) and is more fun that I thought a 115l board would be.
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to put in my two cents worth for the Rocket 115. I live in Hood River and have been sailing the Rocket 105 since '05, and have an '08 model coming next week. I weigh 210lbs so for me it's my light air/coast board. Compared to some of the other boards the board has a strong pedigree. The board was designed for the PWA SuperX events and Matt Pritchard won two World Titles and almost a third on the board. With a single strap in the back and the front straps mounted towards the middle it does everything I could ask whether it's swell riding at The Hatch, a day at the Oregon coast or even several trips to Maui. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the board does it all.
ccyne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check out the Exocet Cross at Ride Hatteras. I believe it will fit your criteria. While you are there you might as well demo the boards that interest you. The wind is supposed to be really good down there the next couple days.
wooot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I missed the part about the bee in the original post.

Maybe you should go for the smaller turny board and replace the middle board later??...... then again maybe you should get a BETTER middle board

It's a tough call

..... you ARE gonna need 3 boards

A new board is gonna plane alot better than a 2001 w/ a given volume
so you could go a little smaller than a 2001 (in the case of the Bee .. though it will not slog better).

I still say rocket 125?? maybe 135???.... Generally you want bigger gaps at the low wind end NOT the high wind end.

you are gonna use your middle board a LOT more than your "nuke board"
"
The other issue I see is that once you get a "modern" nuke board", and get to sail it.... you are gonna HATE the old Bee
... so you will end up replacing it anyway.

So..... get a better and little smaller and better middleboard and go from there.

point is ( one more time..... sorry Sad ) what do you REALLY need??

Windpig
show

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with windpig that going too small with your next board could be a mistake. I am 215 lbs and rarely get to ride a new 106l JP superX, but it is really nice and has spoiled me into looking at adding another new board between the 106 and my 133 light wind board. Wish I would have bought something between 115 and 120 liters.

If you are like me, you are going to want to ride the newest board as much as possible and you'll end up slogging it in marginal conditions, when you should be on your old middle board.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: