myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Syncro 115
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveFoy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same- the board resists tight turns. Much happier doing moderate more drawn out turns. Even so, I find the board responsive to foot steering and good at making small quick turns. The stock fin is big, but I use a larger weed fin for maximum planing. Your experience with a smaller fin is interesting- I need to try it. At 115l, I wasn't expecting a "slashy" board, but doing tighter high speed jibes would be nice, so maybe a smaller fin will help. Thanks.

I forgot about the hydroblade...never got one with my board. The shop owner dissed it and I never gave it another thought.

Last edited by SteveFoy on Mon May 12, 2008 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
nies

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I did spin out with the stock fin. Not often but ocassionally with a my 6.5. I'm also 190 so maybe it ain't the fin? The freeride fin sounds like good advice.
SteveFoy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My weight is very close- about 187lbs. I usually use a 6.5m, but I've also tried 8.0m and 5.8m, all with the same large weed fin. The 8.0m is really pushing it, can't really recommend, but it does show how early this board can plane. It worked surprisingly well with the 5.8m, in pretty rough conditions too. Based on Mike's experience, I definitely need to try a smaller fin with the 5.8m, that was dumb to stick with the large fin.

I use the single strap in back- I like the feel and control, although I have noticed I lose a bit of leverage over the rail when going my fastest.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveFoy wrote:
I thought the same- the board resists tight turns. Much happier doing moderate more drawn out turns. Even so, I find the board responsive to foot steering and good at making small quick turns. The stock fin is big, but I use a larger weed fin for maximum planing. Your experience with a smaller fin is interesting- I need to try it. At 115l, I wasn't expecting a "slashy" board, but doing tighter high speed jibes would be nice, so maybe a smaller fin will help.

My total priority list was a) volume = 110-120 liters and b) slash. The stock fin isn't up to that, but even a 34 cm freeride really loosens it up in both maneuvers and jibes. I'm anxious to try it with a 30 cm freeride, then a 25. The 34 tracked well in hard slashes and tight/fast jibes with a 7.5; the 30 freeride will be even better with a 6.2, and I hope my 25 B&J will work with it. This board will throw up big curtains of water well over your head in the turns when set way up on one rail with a loose fin under it. Surely this board is too big to take advantage of a 25 cm, flexy, slotted, wave-oriented fin ... or maybe not. I'm gonna find out.

\m/
nies

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars,

How do you have your back straps or strap inboard or outboard?
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a deal on one let me know. I want one as well. 115lts.

Thanks,
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always set up one single centered rear strap. When I had boards without centered rear strap holes, I'd fabricate a bridge and run a single centered rear strap. I'm just not interested in standing out on a rail and going along for the ride; I prefer being in the driver's seat to riding shotgun.

Big Winds in Hood River has 115 Synchros for $899.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says "You must enter a message when posting".
"It" insists I must post SOMETHING.

OK.

Last edited by isobars on Tue May 13, 2008 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
nies

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Isoman. Bear with me I'm a relative newbie to the sport, (based on my skill level anyhow). I do have a 93 Liter JP with the strap in the middle which is loads of fun but hard to get home on when the fickle winds of Upstate NY change their tune. I got the back straps on the 115 real loose in an attempt to have a little of both worlds since I find myself frequently sailing the flat water of the finger lakes...sad tale there. Anyhow thanks for the quick reply. Truth is that if I hear the tell-tale sputter of someone about to pass me I'm willing to sail with just my big toe on the rail if need be. It's all based on an inability to grow up I guess.
us4846mmoran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nies

Winds are great in upstate NY (when they blow.)

Seneca @ Geneva State park is great in the fall when it blows from the South often w/ rock steady 20-30+ mph winds with nice ramps.

Erie & Ontario in the fall & occassional days in summer offers some incredible sailing. Winds 30+ w/waves up to 12'.

Good sailing all summer up at Chaumont bay Area & Lake Erie around Hamburg

Fair Haven, Oswego, Mexico, Henderson all get decent winds all season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: