myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carbon vs Aluminum mast extensions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barnett

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Carbon vs Aluminum mast extensions Reply with quote

Do they really make a noticable difference (Carbon vs Aluminum mast extensions)?
vims

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a carbon extension snap on me when downhauling, something that's never happened to me with an aluminum extension. But other than that anecdotal experience, I can't contribute much to your question.
likesitwindy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: carbon is pretty in the store ...but Reply with quote

Let some sand do a number on it and it looks like hell (dreadlocks of fuzz) and the shine and carbon look is gone! Spend your money on carbon that is helpful - boom , mast , ...not the piece that gets worn down inside the mast. I have aluminum extensions that will last forever...just go to a swap meet and you can find ALOT of sanded ones ....just not broken ones (carbon) ! The worst is the euro-pin carbon ...now we have carbon + lots of plastic = will break with time !!!
waiting4wind

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a carbon break on me out on the water. Luckily it stayed attached long enough for me to get back to the beach. I actually didnt even realize it was broke till I noticed it looked weird on the beach. I must say though that it was a well used extension.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight savings down low, at your feet is not very apparent. Better to save money for virtually every other sort of upgrade. I'd get the best mast first and foremost. Then board, fin, etc. Plus a lot of breakages have been seen down here in FL wave sailing.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
The weight savings down low, at your feet is not very apparent. get the best mast first and foremost.

This would be my thoughts as well, I have several regular dia carbon ones, but all my skinny's are aluminum.

Their is almost no swing weight down low.

I have NOT had any break, carbon or otherwise.

And I like the Euro -Pin, but only have 1.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sailed with a carbon extension, so I can't comment on their performance (other than I doubt you will notice much in weight savings). I have heard of them breaking on a couple occasions.

I have always used aluminum extensions. At 200+lbs with heavy sailing, I've managed to bend a couple over the years (both regular diameter and skinny), but have yet to have one break (knock on wood). You usually notice that it's bent when you try to slide it in the mast at a shorter setting, and it won't go even when you rinse it off.

sm
sissybar

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are carbon extensions actually any lighter (really) than aluminum? I have never seen any reason to buy a carbon extension for that reason.

It is like buying titanium parts for a MTB when almost all of the same smaller parts can be had in aluminum for about the same weight and much less $$$.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon extentions are lighter. I've never bought one, but I found a used one in the weeds and have used it often. It's well used, but I have no fear it will break while I sail, but usually I employ it when I need little extension. Otherwise, I have too many long alu extensions. Luff lengths have gotten shorter so you don't need as much extension as was required on the older sails. All I need is a medium length mast extension up to my 8.4. The long length settings are only needed with my 9.6. It used to be the recommendation to buy the long one, but that is now bad advice. Given that the medium alu extentions are stronger, cheaper and an ounce or two heavier than their carbon counterparts, I think the jury is no longer out. I bought a Mistral >>heavy duty<< europin alu medium length a few seasons ago from OceanAir. It's two ounced lighter than the full length Chinook extention. The only way the Mistral will fail would be if I was involved in a Hawaiin Yard Sale. However, I still use an old Hi-Fly alu full length extention which has never failled me. The original boge joint did. The original collar did.
SteveFoy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a strong case for carbon with long extensions, but for medium and short extensions, I doubt there is a meaningful difference. I have a carbon Fiberspar long extension which is noticably lighter than a Chinook aluminum. The Fiberspar doesn't seem as strong, but I'll take that trade-off for lighter weight when using large sails.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: