myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Durabilty in sails, best vs worst brands,consumer reports...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPQR

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Naish sails for durability, especially their wave line.
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post from Lindseyl caught my attention ; the amount of UV exposed sails on Maui must be alot. Worse then California. So I'm sure it's real, plus Superfreaks can be ordered with custom graphics. COOL, The Jimmy Page guitar sail...
Thankyou again everyone. You will have saved a student alot of money blown on swiss cheese sails...
proparoo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sail in the Delta / Sherman Island all Summer long.. every summer for the past 20 years..
I would say we average 100 days a year on the water. Just so you know, I use my 3.7 at least 20 days a season.
We keep our sails rigged for 5 months (covered & take out the downhaul durring the week)

HANDS down, the longest lasting sails are Northwave!!!

My current quiver are a mix:

Surflite
1996 3.7
1997 3.2
2002 4.2
2001 4.7
2001 5.2

The 4.7 is ready for replacement but I can still get another few months out of it.. All other sails are pretty decent.

my 3rd quiver of Northwave in 25 years..

NORTHEWAVE RULES...
lacyfend

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly advise NOT to go with Areotech. I have the rapidfire 6.0. Poorly constructed, foot pulley has corroded 3 times and Areotech tried to charge me for another one when still under warranty. Plus, they are the rudest folks I've ever delt with. Stay away.
I sailed Ezzy for 5 years and went over to Hots Sails Maui for my 5.5 in the Speed XP. All x-ply and the details far surpassed my old Ezzy Infinity. Much lighter in feel. They even have put leather patches on the batten ends to prevent wear. I'll never go back to Ezzy.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-----Dacron breaks down and stretches more than the x ply. KA uses to much film.---
Dacron sails are used on sailboats sails which live for 20 plus years. I left an Xply sail out in the sun covering a sand pile and it blew into pieces in three months. The Freaks have a kevlar weave in the latest light Dacron which allows the sail to stretch in only one direction.They orient the load in that direction so my sailed-a-thousand time sails looks new and shows no visible stretch or sun damage. My 4.2 is black with the Lion of Judah (see Bob Marley). We stay rigged 8 months a year. In water which goes beyond vertical I tumble into and with the sails at least 20 times a year.
In sizes above 5.3 I have been using Hot Smacks for two years plus and they are showing little wear in the Xply.
I do like my Freaks but if you bag them they lose that light handling that makes them so great. Rigged the way Jeff at HOT showed me they are on the light side for power- not a big problem in Maui. In Belize I rig up a size, taking advantage of the exceptional handling.
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lacyfend wrote:
Poorly constructed, foot pulley has corroded 3 times and Areotech tried to charge me for another one when still under warranty. Plus, they are the rudest folks I've ever delt with. Stay away
The painted pulleys. Yes they sucked, corrected in later models. I did not find the flaking paint and looks to be detrimental to function and that was the only issue I had over the years. Cannot speak to the rudeness of customer service, I always dealt with them through my local dealer (hint hint).
lacyfend

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
lacyfend wrote:
Poorly constructed, foot pulley has corroded 3 times and Areotech tried to charge me for another one when still under warranty. Plus, they are the rudest folks I've ever delt with. Stay away
The painted pulleys. Yes they sucked, corrected in later models. I did not find the flaking paint and looks to be detrimental to function and that was the only issue I had over the years. Cannot speak to the rudeness of customer service, I always dealt with them through my local dealer (hint hint).

That would be a sad comment on a manufacturer if one should avoid contacting them to get better service from a retail outlet. I say it's poorly constructed because all the main, typical wear areas, have no reinforcement add ons, ie mast sleeve, batten ends etc. It sails OK, just really nothing special in some areas and sub par in other.

I do have to say regarding Ezzy, their customer service is top notch. Really good people. Hot sails caught my attention because Ezzy is SO expensive. They are becoming more and more like Neil Overpriced Pryde.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy or Maui sails.

Why waste your money on anything else.

Try the Maui's they are inexpensive too.
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lacyfend wrote:

That would be a sad comment on a manufacturer if one should avoid contacting them to get better service from a retail outlet.

Didn't mean to imply that. All it means is that I never had to deal with them because I didn't have to.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many lines manufacturer support does not exist. Ever try to call Naish?I was a Naish dealer and could not get their number after they quit with their N&S American distributor and did not get a new one for nearly a year.
Our only choice was to not sell Naish anymore. We were mainly a Naish shop at the time, so it was big setback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: