myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to go.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Where to go..... Reply with quote

Okay after a few weeks of it blowing during my work days (work really sucks some times Crying or Very sad ) and being light air on my weekends, I've decided to blow some personal time and enjoy the big winds this afternoon (can only afford to take 1/3 day off).

But where to go???

Tomales, blowing 28 right now, will probably build in the afternoon and be too windy for 3.7 sails. Freezing cold. Then there is alway the chance of whitey biting on your butt.... Shocked

Sherman. Warmer, fresh water, BUT what is with the sensors lately. Last weekend it kept showing 20 and people were BARELY planing on 6.0 sails. Now it says 25 mph at mile marker 12, but 16 mph at mile marker 14. 16 mph???? If 20 mph on this sensor is 6.0 conditions, what does that say about 16 mph?

So is it really 16 mph and I need to go to Tomales, or is the sensor wacked? RVWA cam seems to be down. I thought Rio Viento had one, but I can't find it...

Any help? Clocks ticking pizza boy.....
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John ......Go to Crissy and enjot the EBB at 4. BUT dont ever refer to Sherman as "fresh" water, its anything but Fresh.

Boggsman
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto-crissy-ebb-bring your smallest gear-yesterday was as good as it gets there.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that Crissy yesterday was better than Tomales any day, but I'm definitely getting nervous about Crissy today for a few reasons:

1. The models say that Crissy should be popping by now but it's not, and there are no gusts whatsoever.

2. Yesterday had a fog/southwest affect that is missing today, meaning the wind won't be as far across and won't be as strong unless the isobars do exactly what was predicted earlier today.

3. The Great Basin low seems to be moving further south, causing a more n-s gradient--better for Tomales and Peninsula.

4. TI is wnw, which means Crissy could be in a shadow.

5. iWindsurf lowered the 11:30 forecast for some of these reasons.

Tomales is a sure thing. You might have to creep outside the Gate on a big board to get solid wind at Crissy, if that will even be possible. Usually it is though.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, they did forecast the key gradients tightening quickly and strongly this afternoon, and the wind advisories are for through 5am/tomorrow.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty ..Two things:
Tomales on a 30kt EBB day is hard to beat, perfect rollers, great port launches.
You are over analyzing todays wind. Its gonna nuke everywhere today. By 3Pm you ll see 30 handles everywhere within a shot of the coast.
Boggsman
victor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging from yesterday and the forecast today you can go anyhwere and be totally overpowered on anyhting bigger than a hankie and a popsicle stick.

personally, i will be at the warmest site.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right...It will be fun everywhere...but it can surprise you in a bad way sometimes at Crissy, so if you're taking the afternoon off and want to make sure you get the best swell possible, I was just trying to point out some considerations.

BTW, I just drove over Baker Beach, it does seem to moving in now to Crissy.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy a lot of Crissy lovers here Smile I HATE commute traffic Smile Well with shermy and it's "fresh water" (what you can't drink the water????? Shocked I think it will win out. I don't think it will be as warm as last weekend (could have been in a shortie) but it's still warmer than Tomales Smile

Sooo..... If you see a Green Dodge Grand Caravan with Northwave stickers on it, say hi. Either the Sign or Access......

I'm out of here.... Cool
jguensche

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the direction for Sherman? Is NW a reasonable direction?

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: