myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Syncro 115
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with previous posts the Synchro is a great board, I don't own but I got to ride one of the second year 2004 models at Windfest a few years ago, it stood out head and shoulders above the rest as a really fun lively board to ride. All I want to do is have a smile on my face when I'm sailing, whatever puts it there is enough for me, the Synchro might not be a speed demon but it is a great ride. I think I rode a 90ish L model with a 5.0 sail, when I replace my 90L RRD FSW I'll look into the Syncrho's.

Has anyone tried a small Mistral Beast? I'd be curious to know what the 65ish liter model is like.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nies wrote:
Thanks Isoman. Bear with me I'm a relative newbie to the sport, (based on my skill level anyhow). I do have a 93 Liter JP with the strap in the middle which is loads of fun but hard to get home on when the fickle winds of Upstate NY change their tune.

Ditto NM. But at Morgan you don't care, one can swim across Conchas, and I keep one eye on the desert dust plume upwind at the Butte. If it's shaky, I stay in the bay, which is bigger than most entire lakes. I've sailed 65-liter toys all over NM's lakes. I also swim a lot because a) it's worth it and b) it beats slogging sinkers.

nies wrote:
Truth is that if I hear the tell-tale sputter of someone about to pass me I'm willing to sail with just my big toe on the rail if need be. It's all based on an inability to grow up I guess.

I have no intention of growing up. If my grownup friends are valid examples, I want no part of that. When I can no longer play outdoors, I'll probably try video games. The last one I tried was Pacman.

\m/
johnl

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be the sole person who wasn't impressed with the Syncro I'll speak up. I demoed the 102 (or 101 model). I was looking for something I'd enjoy in the 5.2 - 5.7 range. This was to replace my Fanatic Cross 100. I found I did not like the way it jibed and wasn't impressed with it. I spent over two hours on the board and never liked a single jibe. Keep in mind I also found several other "modern" boards were similar. I was ready to plop the money down based on what I had heard and read till I rode it.

I demoed a Fanatic Hawk 95 and found it had the same amount of float as most boards in the 100 range, AND after just two jibes I was ready to buy it. I also tend to like the "older style" boards and tend not to like boards over 60cm wide (Hawk is 58cm wide). With a B&J fin, it feels fairly loose to me (probably nothing compared others), and with a freeride fin it does very well in wind down to about 17mph. And I found it loves to rip fast planing jibes. BUT for freestyle type stuff (simple tacks and stuff for me) there isn't much float in front of the mast and moves around the front tend to sink the nose.

These were 2006 boards, so I can't speak for current year models. My only suggestion is to DEMO it and not base your decision on what others like since their riding style may differ from yours.
acucook

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a synchro 104 from 2005 I think. I like the board, but...
They stop the stringer between the front and back straps. this area can see a lot of foot pressure. I cracked mine there- mabey its an isolated incident? For the record, there are a lot of boards made like this. I suspect a full stringer board might have a higher price?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one reason I always pad my boards from back heel to near the mast.

\m/
SteveFoy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all Syncro's are great boards. The boards were tweaked a lot from year to year and some work better than others, but I don't think any were bad. They represented a major design change for Mistral and were a big improvement over the previous Flow boards. Supposedly the 2007 Syncro 115l was a nice improvement over the previous year(s). I've also heard some criticism on some 103l model years. But I'm no expert and lot of what I've heard came from the shop owner, so take it for what it's worth. But I do own 3 Syncros: 2006 83l, 2006 90l, and a 2007 115l and I like them all very much.
mwood5

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like everyone on this list is a 190 lb person. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Synchro and am going back and forth between the 102 and 115. I'm 150 lbs and an advanced to expert that's been out of the sport for a few years. This will be the biggest board I've purchased since I got my twelve foot F2 race board back in 1988. So, I'm a bit at a loss on modern board shapes.

So, if you were in my shoes looking for something in the 6m to maybe up to a 7m sail, which en' would you pick? Since I'm lighter, I think I'd have no issues holding the 7m sail.....right?

m
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your criteria.

There are many faster boards out there, some still turny/maneuverable ... if that interests you now or in the future. The smaller, the better the maneuverability.

And how important is ride quality in heavy chop? Synchros shine in that regard, at the expense of just a little max speed. The bigger the bouncier, even though no one refers to any Synchro as "bouncy".

How important is slogging way upwind if the wind quits? Cubic inches rule in that game in this size regime.

OTOH, I'd sure rather jump a 102 than a 115.

Will this be your only board (yeah, right!)? If not, what size are its quivermates?

Answer those and our advice will be much more valid.

\m/
mwood5

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be my big board. I'll use it with a 6-7 or 7.5 sail in probably only flat water. I've got an old wave board...probably going to replace that too before next spring with something like a JP FSW or true Wave of some sort. I'll be using the wave board in B&J stuff....5.5 and under.
So, this board is just something to stretch it out a bit. Get me out in lighter winds. I do want something fun to play with. I'm just wondering if the 102 is too small. Will it hold the bigger sails if I need it to? I'd hate to get the 115 and feel like it's a dog. I'm sure it wouldn't feel like a dog, but I just really want something fun in this range. I don't mind giving up a bit of speed. If I wanted that, i'd be after a JP SS or other slalom board.

later,

mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: