myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Columbia River and Contact lenses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Columbia River and Contact lenses Reply with quote

Anybody have any suggestions as to what contact lenses work well in the gorge? I use Acuvue disposables in Salt water and lakes with no problem at all. For some reason as soon as I get one drop of water from the Columbia river on my contacts, my vision is blurry and irritated for about 10 seconds . Any suggestion's or theories would be greatly appreciated.
thanks rich
kellydennis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: contact lenses Reply with quote

I use Accuvue 2 contact lenses and have not had a problem occasionally
I experience some blurry ness but not usually, I do always wear sunglasses which seems to help, that may make a differnce if you are not wearing anything over the eyes. Hope that helps.
angus44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Contact lenses Reply with quote

I've been wearing Focus Dailies, daily disposables for 6-7 years. They are working out for me. They fit well & have held up in the most rigorous gorge conditions very well. On occasion after a big splash or on a big day they may pop out but are easily replaced with spares in the vehicle. They cost maybe $.60 each & are available at Lensecrafters. Good Luck!
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't matter who makes the contact lenses. Both fresh water in the eye or dry eyes will cause contact lenses to stick against the eye=blurry vision.

Salt water (saline solution) will keep them kind of floating against the eye.
surfdude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: contact lenses Reply with quote

I 've had the same experience as Freddis with the Acuvue. I now use Focus night and day contacts and never have any bluring of vision.
einhorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed for years in contacts, but always wore goggles or wrap sunglasses that fit snug. That worked for spray and splashes. When in the river, I suggest closing your eyes.
coryrhansen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the contacts have a property called "wettability", this has to do with the surface coating on the lens, some lenses will react with water differently than others based on how it binds to the lens coating, my advice since i do this for a living is to try several brands at different times for windsurfing and determine which is best (see an optometrist for trials) i like the ciba focus dailies idea as they are daily disposable and cost little if lost, also sports goggles with and antifog solution on the outside will provide clear vision, you can wear these over contacts if you dont want to get a prescription pair Razz
Freddis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: contacts Reply with quote

thanks for the great advice, I will try some different brands starting with the Focus. cheers Richi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: