myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
"You're STILL here?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: "You're STILL here?" Reply with quote

I'm an intermediate ws and have been sailing The Gorge for several years. I try to get there once/wk late May to Sep. Last year in May I was bothered by leg cramps and seasickness due to water temps and current. So last wkend I decided to launch from outside The Hook on my first time out. I was talking to a BW emp. there whom I'd never met when the cgwa pres. walked up and said, "You're STILL here?!" I really don't know what to make of that comment. Can anyone tell me what that means? I'm not young, I'm a woman...and I'm totally frustrated with my inability to advance but find The Mighty Columbia somewhat intimidating. Still, I enjoy the water - and my ski pass is no-good anymore....
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PennyB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am glad you are still going for it. I, too, am not getting any better in a big hurry. I love how being out on the board feels and I also need something to do when the chair lifts stop.
Don't worry about what anyone has to say about where you sail. Have fun! There are lots of us just like you out there.
srich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise no idea what he meant. But doesn't matter anyway. Living in the Gorge I have met so many people who have tried windsurfing and quit. They seem to think after a few times on the water they will be gliding back and forth at the hatch. You sound like a boardhead for sure. Something inside keeps us coming back for more. Where and when you sail doesn't matter, as long as you are having fun.

I have been Mt biking for years. I have a few spots I like to go. Not as steep or technical as the Syncline and Post canyon. I ride where and when I want. I started telling myself a long time ago as I was floundering around the marina on my $150 worth of used gear I got at the swaps. The secret to windsurfing is not giving a sh** what anybody thinks of your sailing. Just focus on what you are doing and keep doing it.

I think and hopefully you agree, windsurfers in general are pretty cool group of people. Don't let an off hand comment ruin your sesh.
tmayer_h2o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: "you're still here?" Reply with quote

just so we don't start any rumours here - I am the cgwa pres this yr and I certainly never said this to anyone. I do enjoy the hook with my kids but I haven't even sailed it yet since the water is too friggin' cold for my daughter. I agree with what others say - get out there, have fun, and don't worry about what others think of your sailing abilities. Remember, in the end, this all about nothing more than having fun.
sailon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "you're still here?" Reply with quote

tmayer_h2o wrote:
just so we don't start any rumours here - I am the cgwa pres this yr and I certainly never said this to anyone. I do enjoy the hook with my kids but I haven't even sailed it yet since the water is too friggin' cold for my daughter. I agree with what others say - get out there, have fun, and don't worry about what others think of your sailing abilities. Remember, in the end, this all about nothing more than having fun.

My apologies, t mayer, I should have checked my info. I confused 'president' with 'exec. director'. And thanks to those who offered encouragment. Having to waterstart when the water is icy and fast is such a downer not to mention tiring, but it still beats staying home. Now that I've figured out what my username means, I'll make it my mantra too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: