myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Maps and Graphs - Limited Beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> WeatherFlow Labs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mluckner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Tide Charts Reply with quote

The new beta design looks good.

I could not find the tide charts for the Bay Area locations. Will they be available in the final version? The tides and the current help decide where and when to go sailing and may turn a good day in the bay Area into a very good day.
rschu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Tide data is crucial ! Reply with quote

I know the last guy just mentioned it - but ... knowing the tide is as important as the wind for my choice of when and where to sail. I'd like to see the tide on a second y axis on the individual wind charts, sort of like the wind prediction is shown
stevesekhon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the cool global map this system starts with. i sail in the SF Bay area and in order to check the sites I might sail at, I now have to click on three different areas: South SF Bay, North SF Bay, and I didn't mess around to find the third that would show Sherman Island because I switched back to the old system.
juk1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the San Francisco Bay Area is prefer the old map.
To see the same sites as the old map I have to look at three different maps, or one very large one that covers much more than I care for and required multiple click to get individual site data.

Old map (the one I like, non-beta version)
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=125&geographicalAreaID=4

When switching to the new map system the above link only shows the north-west side of the bay, I am losing the sites down to 3rd ave and up to Sherman island.

Yes, I can see all the sites at once by selecting a bigger map but this shows much more than I care for. I addition, when clicking on a site in the bigger map it first loads the smaller map, then I have to click on the site again to get the wind graph.

JUK
slavik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Map usability Reply with quote

Even though the number of sensors has increased - thank you for that, the ease of use actually got much worth. It takes so many screen refreshes to get to the desired region of the map. Can you just use something like google map interface instead, where the user can select the area he/she would like to see him/herself instead of forcing people to make 5/6 screen reloads just to get to desired area. Now with increased number of sensors on the map - it is hard to find an empty place on the map to select a region to zoom into without getting into specific sensor page. Don't limit the map size to 550x545 pixels. I have a huge monitor - let me use it please, just dynamically resize the map and let the people zoom in with out reloading entire page.
blake64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bookmarked my favorite regions, so with one click, my browser goes straight to what I need.

Or I use the menu on the left side to pick other USA cities or states to check.

I use a laptop much of the time. Pls don't make maps too wide for our smaller screens. Right-scrolling is stone-age..don't go there.

This rocks! thank-you
Shirin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow David, thank you very much for changing SF-South region boundaries , very quick response , now it just looks perfect.
dlathouras

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Chesapeake Region Reply with quote

MD/VA Border - Strange name - how about calling it Potomac?

Please include National Airport (which you call DC Int'l) in the zoom box that includes most of the Potomac River - the Washington Sailing Marina is located right next to the airport and is the closest launch site for many windsurfers in DC/NoVA. The sensor is listed as DC International - there's no such name associated with anything around here - proper name is Reagan National Airport aka DCA.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KDCA.html

Also - noticed that there's a grey "x" at Mayo on the Chesapeake - what does this mean? This is a prime launch for windsurfers & kiters from MD/VA - we have a great park manager who is also a windsurfer - let me know if you want his contact info.
dlathouras

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Chesapeake Region Reply with quote

Thanks for making the changes to the VA/MD Potomac maps!

I also noticed that for the MD/Chesapeake Central that the zoom in would be better for us locals if Gunpowder was included (north of Hart Miller). Gunpowder, along with Hart/Miller (aka Rocky Point), Sandy Point, Mayo and Kent Island are the primary "public" launches that locals use - the Chesapeake shores are sadly privatized, much like what is happening in Tidewater, VA now.

Daphne
www.windsurfbaba.org
fishinator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Big Lake O. Reply with quote

Disappointed to see a few prime real-time reading sites removed in the beta version for Lake Ontario. Specifically, it seems that now only forecasts are available at 3 locations: Sandbanks (Pt. Petre?), Ontario Buoy and Prince Edward Point. These are great sites for us to diagnose and make decisions on where to sail. Can they be brought back as real-time wind reading sites? Not sure why they would be cut out.

A couple other general suggestions:
- Make the map window bigger.
- Make the map with zoom/pan capability akin to Mapquest, Google Maps etc...

With those features, one could actually zoom in/out (and ideally save) the expanse that they want to view. Sure, default zoom areas as are currently available are a good thing, but I think there would be a lot of people out there who may like to see more (or less) of a particular area and thus custom pan/zoom would be brilliant.

Cheers,
Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> WeatherFlow Labs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: