myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tandem board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Tandem board Reply with quote

Has anyone tried or would like to try a tandem board?
I am trying to gauge the interest among the Windsurf community.
I know that many of us would love to have their significant other sail with us and the tandem might just be the ticket. It is easy to use, does not require much wind to keep going and can definitely help one to enjoy windsurfing with much less hassle.
it is also a great way to get an early session when the wind is not fully up.

I would love to hear your comments.
thank you in advance...

Vincent
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probable do it with one of the 12'+ SUP's. Just put an extra mast bolt forward and back of the center. A very cheap way to determine how much fun it would be.
bil7y

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: tandem fun Reply with quote

I have sailed the Kona Mahalo a couple times. Its a blast. Windsurfing is normally such an individual thing that its cool to have a buddy along for a ride. Its also very challenging. Synchronicity is key. If I had more storage I'd own one for sure. The mahalo is also decent to SUP on. Good times.
bonner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Tandem Sailing Reply with quote

Got the chance to sail on a tandem several years ago, and it was an absolute blast! Heavy guy in back, light guy up front, super fast because there's double the sail area and a really long floaty board. It also goes upwind like crazy. You really have to work together, talk, and give signals, but that's what made it so fun. The best part was blasting by your sailing buddies and looking at their expressions. The funniest part was trying to jibe it. From a full plane you both initiate a jibe on que, then the guy in the back has to tell the one in the front he's flipping his sail so he can duck under the clew. If the timings off, the guy up front gets knocked into the water...too funny! We actually took the board out into the channel at 3rd into the swell which was even crazier. Tried several jibes and came close a few times but never got one, spent half the time laughing. If you get a chance to sail one, don't pass it up!
mauipete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: tandems Reply with quote

Sailed a Cobra tandem 15 years ago in Delaware and still have a desire to have one for the "light" days. With a 5.5 and 6.0, we had 11.5 meters of sail, with not a lot of extra wetted surface. It planed right up and the sailor in front would actually be riding on air, while the back sailor controlled direction with the normal foot steering. We would sail along, giggling and acting silly while passing just about anyone on less than 9 meter sails.

It took some time to figure out how to recover from a missed gybe, since there was that extra sail and person in the way of a normal waterstart. We (the wife and I) figured out that the person in front should uphaul and then just luff the sail, while the person in the back got ready to waterstart. Once we had everything lined up the waterstarter would begin, and as he made the transition, the uphauler would start to sheet in. Worked like a charm!

There are a few wave tandem boards on the island, and I've thought about borrowing one, but I'm afraid I might have too much fun and not want to give it back. The van is pretty full already, and I don't want to put on roof racks.

If you get a chance to try one, you'll be glad you did.

Aloha,
Pete
VinceSF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Thank you all for your reply Reply with quote

I am not affiliated with any of the 2 brands (to my knowledge) that make production tandem boards.
I have tried the Mahalo in medium wind and it was fun! I will surely do it again soon.
I also would like to maybe spur even more interest in Tandem as a light wind option (the other being having to spend a lot of $$$ in big gear).
Maybe Uncle Starboard or Uncle Exocet is reading this and would like to create a US tour of their latest big board (paddle, tandem, longboard) like they do in Europe. I can't find any better way to bring windsurf to the masses than a fun race open to windsurfer and non windsurfer's alike.
http://www.cnangoulins.com/worldtandem/Press_Release_World_Tandem_Gemini
[/url]
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tandem board Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:

I would love to hear your comments.
thank you in advance...
Vincent

OK. Since you asked.
1. Tandeming is really fun...(if both sailors know what they are doing)
2. Gets attention, no doubt about that.
3. Would I buy one? No way.
4. Lot of married windsurfers/kitersurfers actually want to get away from their spouses when they go windsurfing/kitesurfing, contrary to your suggestion that they would welcome a chance to play with the spouse.

In sum, your market research is a wise thing. I think that it would be a very very tiny market in the U.S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: