myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy on a Flood,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Crissy on a Flood, Reply with quote

Sailed there for years,
Never sail there when I know its flooding, regardless of wind conditions.
If its flooding I sail at the stick or Oyster P/FT.

Anyone know if its worth sailing crissy on a flood? Why?
chibichibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it not worth sailing on a flood, you're fighting the current? i always wondered why sometimes it felt comfortable sailing there and others not. bigger fin can help a bit, but also mess you up when overpowered.
victor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's windy enough and you like flat water it's a good time to be out.
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem sailing Crissy in a flood in reasonably steady winds. Just rig a sail size or two bigger and go out on floatier board in a flood like everywhere. I would much rather sail there than anywhere else on the Bay in an flood just because it is an awesome place to be. To me, even though the sailing can be great at several sites, everywhere else in the Bay is pretty industrial when you take a panoramic view of things.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While passing through the bay area back in the early 90's, I had the opportunity to sail Crissy on a flood tide. I got out in the middle under the Golden Gate and I couldn't believe how flat it was. It was a little bit choppy at either end entering and exiting the main tidal flow, but in between there was this perfect speed zone where you could really rip along at full speed. Not being from the bay area, I wasn't really that focused on the tides. Kind of that ignorance is bliss thing. Fortunately it was sunny with very solid wind, so I just viewed it as a truly interesting experience.
windspike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: It can rip if you are lucky and you know where to find swell Reply with quote

Even on a flood, Crissy can rip. I've been the only guy out numerous times on the flood to find some nice pocket of waves caused by the eddy currents near the South Tower. I ride an 85 liter board - it's the only one I've got - and I have two fins. One long straighter fin - 25 and a smaller wave fin 21. The longer one is for lighter or flood days. The small fin for those 4.5 to 4.0 set ups.

I don't want to be overly encouraging, but if you like the Stick flat water, some times the flood produces glass-like conditions in the middle up toward the bridge - flattest water I've every sailed on and way better than the Stick. But not better than the speed trap over on the west side of Brooks Island (leeward side of the jetty).

Sail on friends.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Richmond Dist. So I sail crissy often, well the Yacht Club is a better launch. I usually launch there. Its nice to try different places. think I will sail crissy today.
tomg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are cutting 1/2 your sail days if you avoid the floods!

"Even on a flood, Crissy can rip. I've been the only guy out numerous times on the flood to find some nice pocket of waves caused by the eddy currents near the South Tower"

Amen to that! On a flood you can get an amazing super-flat bench of water under and to east of the bridge, about midspan. This is not some "dead zone" as there can be plenty-o-wind across the water. I can't say that this is a predictable phenomenon- but I've seen it a few times when sailing under the bridge.

Do take bigger fin, and floatyer board. From CF parking lot, with a big fin and good power, you can get to the bridge on two reaches.

Tom G.
windspike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Crissy today Reply with quote

I went to Crissy today - braving the Kite fest. Near 3 PM it looked like it was going to clock off, but instead, a few of us brave wind dummies went out. I was on the 5.2. Launched about fourth on the water. About three or four Anita's out, it was very windy. Even in the ebb, it seemed flat. The wind was solid across toward the Bluff. Managed up wind to the bridge and there was some nice wave presenting, but not epic like it should be on the ebb. Sailed for nearly 1.5 hours.

Once the ebb shifted toward the flood, the wind seemed to evaporate on the inside. That's the thing to watch for. If it looks like the wind line gets further from the launch, then maybe it's time to call it and head for the beach. I've paid my dues on several swims with gear for a long stretch to know better.

On a flood, the winds can be really good, and negate the effects of the flood. I've been out at TI on a flood occasionally, where the winds were solid. NEVER GO OUT AT TI ON A FLOOD IF THE WINDS ARE NOT SOLID. But when the winds are solid, a flood can be even good there. Too bad the launch isn't ready yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: