myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Luis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urge4vert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: San Luis Reply with quote

I love San Luis. Its my favorite spot to take beginners and friends. Its a bit of a drive but usually worth the effort.

But there's the weeds, and now this last time I got to discover just how shallow the middle is. I've never been powered up and in the straps and come to a sudden grinding halt in the middle before. I'm still amazed that I didn't break anything on myself or the board.

So, the question remains, how does one tell if its doable at San Luis? Is there a water level posted anywhere? Also, someone was telling me that you can windsurf in the reservoir itself, but I've only gone in the forebay part. Where are you allowed to windsurf at? And how can you tell if its open or closed?

I'm hoping my days at San Luis aren't over for-ever, what with the dropping water levels and all on the forebay. I do love the place......

Thanks....
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: This is the link to the hourly water level report Reply with quote

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ONF

This can be found under info for San Luis at iwindsurf.com I find the minimum level to sail through the center of the lake is 219.5 So I won't go
down there now unless the wind is good and its 219.5 and rising. Also you can look at the water level trend with this link. The last few years they have been really running low . This is my favorite worry free place for working on stuff but it seems like its not happening like it used to .
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: The link for hourly water level is Reply with quote

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ONF

It can be found under info for San Luis at iwindsurf

Do not go unless its 219.5 and rising
urge4vert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info. I'll be sure and check this for next time!
goinoff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the upper reservoir, Goosehead point has a dirt road that circles
it around the base with many good launch spots. The boat
ramp just down the road past the Goosehead point turnoff is also a
launch spot. When water levels are low, the boat ramp can be a better
option because you can park close to the water. But, sometimes
Goosehead has better wind flow than the ramp...

Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=San+Luis+Reservoir,+United+States&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,37.050760,-121.129310&ll=37.037503,-121.083498&spn=0.017334,0.026436&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr

How much water is in the upper res??:

http://wwwoco.water.ca.gov/monthly/storage/storsanl.html

Last edited by goinoff on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: San Luis Reply with quote

urge4vert wrote:
I've never been powered up and in the straps and come to a sudden grinding halt in the middle before. I'm still amazed that I didn't break anything on myself or the board.

A happy side benefit to using a weed fin. The deceleration is just a little slower and the crash hurts a little bit less.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Never seen anybody in the actual reservoir Reply with quote

They used to require a rope a knife, strobe and some assorted safety equipment for the upper reservoir. The nice thing about a little bit of weeds is a does dampen the chop.
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a deepwater channel in San Luis Reservoir on the Catfish Flats side that seems safe regardless of the water level (i.e. even when the water level is so low that you can practically walk from the NW side to the SE side in the shallower areas, with dry sandbars/bottom fully exposed, which does happen on occastion).

See dark blue shaded area in the map, and remember to
watch out for fishermen who often fish to the immediate north of the shaded area ...avoid fouling their lines (can make them very angry)

Also note that this area isn't particularly long...so you will have to make a lot more transitions than normal (if normal = sail from one side all the way to the other). But thats a good thing...everyone needs some more jibe/tack practice.

oneill_deepwater.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.54 KB
 Viewed:  14860 Time(s)

oneill_deepwater.GIF

DonORiordan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more technically accurate, the above is actually not the main reservoir, but the O'Neill Forebay.
goinoff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Never seen anybody in the actual reservoir Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
They used to require a rope a knife, strobe and some assorted safety equipment for the upper reservoir. The nice thing about a little bit of weeds is a does dampen the chop.

Required safety gear for sailing the upper res is posted at the Basalt
ranger station..I'm not sure if they enforce the rules anymore.

The nice thing about the upper res is big chop, more ramps than you can
shake a stick at. Watch out for rattle snakes, Goosehead and the forebay
have plenty. I've seen around 7 or 8 in the last 10 years...from tiny to frickn' yikes...

Here is another good spot to launch in the upper res just before the visitors center at the dam:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=San+Luis+Reservoir,+United+States&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,37.050760,-121.129310&t=h&ll=37.086149,-121.111747&spn=0.003697,0.006083&z=17&iwloc=addr

Dirt parking lot just off 152 makes it easy to check out....Just follow the
path down to the dirt point. This is probably the best launch in the upper
res with the most consistant wind...Kiters can launch here too....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: