myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First time going to the Gorge - Lessons and Glasses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cycleback

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: First time going to the Gorge - Lessons and Glasses Reply with quote

I plan on being in Hood River on July 6th and 7th and would like to take some windsurfing lessons. I am comfortable using a harness but have not had much luck waterstarting. I have only gone out once in the last two years so I am sure my skills will be a little rusty.

Doing a little bit of research I found the following places which offer lessons:

Big Winds
Hood River Water Play
Brians Windsurfing
WindWing
BigWinds
ABK Board Sports

-Does anyone really recommed one of these in particular? Or have any recent experience with them?

-Will any of these let you use the equipment the rest of the day after the lesson?

-Would I need to take something more basic than a waterstart lesson?

-What do people recommend for eyewear while windsurfing in the Gorge? Normally I just use my glasses with floatable croakies (But this is on a lake with no current). Do most people wear contacts?
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear polarized polycarbonate prescription sunglasses when I sail. I have lost a few pairs, and find that attaching my wetsuit strap to the eyeglass holder/croakies have saved my glasses in many a crash. Wearing a helmet will also keep your glasses on your head.

The hassle is that a film will develop on your glass lens. I rub my glass lenses with my fingers while sailing, which takes care of the film.

As to lessons, ask for Heidi Chapel with Big Winds. She is a high school teacher who has been sailing since 1984, worked for Hood River Windsurfing and was an excellent instructor with us.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycleback, I sent you a private message because it was rather long. Big Winds has a good rep. They will also have rental gear for you too.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to rent gear along with your lesson, then BigWinds or Isthmus/ABK would be the way to go. I've had really good experiences with ABK. You might want to go with a private, or semi-private lesson - then they can easily tailor it to what you need to work on.
bobg
cycleback

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sense on how quickly lessons fill up and if they give refunds if there is no wind?
windanceshop1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Windance and Waterplay Reply with quote

Windance is doing rentals again. We also recommend Waterplay for your lessons, they are excellent.
wmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you missed Windfest this weekend at the Event site. There were many good free on land clinics going on. Brian of Brian's Windsurfing did great water start and jibing clinics using people watching for demonstrations on correctness. He answered all the question from the many people watching and demonstrated the results. A friend asked a question during the jibbing clinic and he put her on the land simulator to demonstrate the correct technique. Wyatt Miller also demonstrate jibbing with a board and sail. Good luck. Laughing
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian's Windsurfing is by far the best and most fun/casual school in the Gorge. And Brian is constant entertainment.

Brian's
Brian's
Brian's
windwing1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windwing does not have a school this year. But we do network our customers to team riders like Wyatt, Nick and Bryan for windsurfing lessons and to Jonathon for kite lessons. Wyatt is too polite to claim it but he is one of the best, beginner to advanced instructor in the country. Here's a picture of his clinic this past weekend.

wyattteach.jpg
 Description:
Wyatt at Windfest
 Filesize:  30.95 KB
 Viewed:  15640 Time(s)

wyattteach.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: