myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area sail repair?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronadler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Bay Area sail repair? Reply with quote

I lost the phone number for Ben who does Bay Area sail repairs. Can someone like Kevin K. or Ben himself post me the phone number? Thanks
HelmKites3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: sail repair Reply with quote

Leading Edge Sail Repair in San Mateo

1125 N Amphlett Blvd
San Mateo, CA 94401
(650) 347-0795
bamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Ben. I am still doing sail and kite repair. The best way to reach me is benbamer(at)yahoo.com (replace (at) with @).

A few things: I am based in the East Bay, mimimum charge is $60 (that goes pretty far), most repairs completed in 3 days or so, kites and windsurfing sails are not foreign to me, can quote prices over email or with picture.

Hope that helps.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude, waza haps?
Looking good at Berkeley's last month CalCup.
You haven't been smoking everyone around widdat 7.4 and cutout Zlab.
Chenda is reigning king of slalom go fast lately. He needs to be knocked off his pedestal. Naish 65cm cutout slalom and RSRacing sails.
Hope thinks OK with you........ Dom.
oh, I'm older yet and slower yet, smaller and weaker too.....
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, LeeD, sounds like you might be sandbagging a bit with the "kook" and older dude story. At probably your age, I certainly understand the challenges, but I hesitate relying on it too much yet. Maybe you're interested in smoking the competition.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no sandbagging, ever.
I've always been a realist.
6' tall, 185 lbs. sailors are always faster, when THEY are well powered.
I'm short and 145 lbs., never really all that fast.
Now Torkil, or my old roomate at 275lbs was really fast....when THEY are well powered.
Heck, I can't even stay with my peers at 160 lbs.
Fortunately, by attrition, lots of formerly good and fast sailors don't seem to show up anymores, so rising towards the top is still a possibility.
Only time guys my size are nearly as fast happenned at Corpus, when GlenMcKinley was faster (under 175lbs class). I was about 148 lbs. then.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us older guys got to stick together, and ultimately reflect an interesting profile. You're right in that many older guys have faded into the woodwork, but so many have actually turned to kiting. Lots of older guys doing that now, maybe because it's easier. Still though, they're still getting out there, and really, that's what it's all about. Glad that you still find the time and interest. Frankly, in the bay area, you guys get a lot I can only wish for in Santa Barbara. I'm so envious much of the time.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, us older guys mosty tried kiting sometime in our lives...
I had to in '99 when the shop decided to sell kites and boards also, so an emp who actually DOES the sport should make a better salesman than one who just soaks in the knowledge by osmosis.
Did one season, went to Alameda 100 days and actually kited in the water there about 40, with maybe 30 at 'zerkeley and half that at MarinaBay.
Quit after nailing my front and back spins, didn't see the point in board off and tweaking tricks
When I snowboard, I don't hang around the parks or do much flatland butters and switch tricks.
When I waterski, I avoided wakeboarders, preferring to jump or slalom.
When I surf, I try to stick with the basic bottom turn-off the lip combos, abstaining from little tweaky airs.
When I used to motocross, I only did racing, maybe once a week practice at a local track thrown in, but didn't do wheelies or set up huge jumps.
When I play tennis, I try to stick with playing traditional sets, avoiding long hitting sessions with betweentheleg retrieval of lobs.
Guess that just means old age has caught up a while ago....
Sail fast, jibe great, jump high....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: