myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
charleston Oregon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
predator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: charleston Oregon Reply with quote

Hey, Im a windsurfer from NY and i am thinking about taking a job in CHarleston OR. Is it big over there? Any great spots? I dont want to take the job if there isnt!
-AMY
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've lived in Oregon all my life and driven through coosbay/northbend many times did not know there was a Charleston. Lots of rain....there is surfing a few spots around there, best windsurfing is at Floras lake or pistol river 45 minutes to the south. world class golf at bandon dunes....South coast is a bit of BFE.

http://www.floraslake.com/flw2.html
D-wo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The south coast of Oregon provides the highest level sailing opportunities in the state. The Gorge is just a pond stocked with over sized egos.
J_McV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wavesailing Florence is an hour north, Bandon 40 minutes south, Pistol River 1 hour 40 minutes south. Flat water at Floras Lake is around an hour south. Good surfing a few minutes away. In winter you can sail the out going tide in the river at Empire on south wind for gorge like conditions a few miles away. Most of the sailors in that area have turned to kiting for more time on the water. They have all stopped sailing as far as I know. I live at Floras Lake and I beleive I am one of the last locals this far north to have not given windsurfing up.
Most dependable wind is at Pistol area in summer.
Jeff
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_McV wrote:
In winter you can sail the out going tide in the river at Empire on south wind for gorge like conditions a few miles away.

Please tell us more about that. I've asked here many times about places to sail winter southerlies, with no feedback. Anything you can offer regarding sailing conditions, optimal tide, tide data source, best forecasts/wind conditions, typical air and water temps, launch site and conditions, etc. would be very useful.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-wo wrote:
The south coast of Oregon provides the highest level sailing opportunities in the state. The Gorge is just a pond stocked with over sized egos.

Amy, while Dwo is right about the S Or coast offering the most demanding WSing in OR, his second statement is just a useless, stupid, incendiary troll. The Gorge is a world-class venue including a huge variety of wind and sailing, thousands of great people loving life, and a few people like Dwo. The problem, in your case, is that it's a long drive from Charleston, something like 5 or more hours.

The OR coast in general is arguably the best coast on North America for hands-on fun. It's incredibly gorgeous, it's varied, and it's 100% accessible to the public. OTOH, if you are a sun worshiper or have SAD (Google it), you'd better think twice about it.

Mike \m/
J_McV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empire needs out going tide. The day before the storm hits can bring the best wind in the 4.7 range steady and sun. During the storm 4.2 gusty and rain. Temps in the 50's. Rig and launch on the south side of the main dock in the local fishing area park. Nice grassy rigging area. While sailing stay clear of the channel marker buoy the current can take you right into it. Below is a tide link. High to medium low tide will work.
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Coos+Bay%2C+Empire&units=f

I now like to sail the storms down south a few more miles in Crescent City CA. This is the best place for storm sailing in this neck of the woods. It's also a good place for novice wave sailors to learn the ropes. It's totally safe and easy but still fun for advanced sailors too. Go inside the harbor at the main park in town on high tide before or during the storm. The water stays waist deep and the waves are small but clean and you can go left or right. Good jumping too. Usually 4.7 0r 5.2. This is the place.
J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: