myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tidewater Barges : (
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I looked briefly but missed the colregs.

I had to chuckle at one section:
"Signals to Attract Attention

If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel, any vessel may ... direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation."

We were sailing late one night when the sun rose in the west, plain and simple. A barge pilot apparently saw us on radar and lit up the most powerful beam of light I've ever seen. He was well over a mile away, but we could not look into it.

On the plus side, it lit up the swell nicely.

Mike \m/
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tidewater Barges :( Reply with quote

kacena wrote:
I wish someone would contact Tidewater and tell them about the incident. They don't want to run over a windsurfer any more than we want them to. Maybe they would change or reemphasize their rule for such situations.

done!

I just emailed Tidewater, for whatever its worth.
Quote:

Dear Tidewater,

My name is Mike Thierfelder, I live in White Salmon and am an avid windsurfer. Last Saturday there was an occurrance near the Spring Creek Hatchery where two of your barges passed side by side that left many windsurfers in danger. It was a windy day, on the weekend, in July that is to say a very crowded day on the water with at least 100 windsurfers out. The problem was that the eastbound barge blew its horn during approach, which was great but the westbound barge (moving very fast) never blew its horn at all and many sailors reported not seeing it until it was bearing down on them at close range. I understand that there are protocols that govern audible communication between powered vessels and that horn blast warnings might not always be possible. I just wanted to make this report and let you know there is an entire thread regarding this incident on a windsurfing forum, please read more if interested:

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15370&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Truly,
Mike Thierfelder
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the barge going upriver was a Shaver barge and the one going down river at warp speed was a Tidewater. I agree on the Tidewater barge's speed - it was going along at a good clip.
garyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Monday, July 21, a Shaver Barge being pushed by a Shaver tug named "Deschutes" traveled East through Swell City and the Hatchery without blowing it's horn even once. The wind was good and many windsurfers were out. This occurred mid-day. It would be much safer, and much appreciated, if they would give some warning by blowing their horn when windsurfers are out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: