myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gorge Blowout!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgeLocal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: gorge Blowout! Reply with quote

Hi - the 26th annual gorge blowout went off today without a hitch (although more wind would have helped). Dale Cook came in first, with Bruce Peterson on his heels. Bruce completed the 17 mile downwind on a slalom board and sail! I saw Windsport there covering the event but I didnt' see anyone from Windsurfing Mag. Josh is still in town - does anyone know why they were not covering this fantastic event? The Gorge and the sport could use the publicity.
TBird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: blowout Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on how many sailors participated? And what was the range of finishing times?
I agree, local windsurfing events like these are great for the community and great for the sport. Kudos to everyone involved in putting it together.
jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winning time was 1hour 3 minutes, Dale Cook. followed by Bruce Peterson, Andeas Macke, Derek Nielsen, Stephan Lidington, Doug Beaman, Macrae Wylde, Todd Selby, Pieter Botha, all finished in under an hour and 25 or so minutes. 50 competetors started and 43 finished in under the allowed 5 hour time. Slightly lighter wind than expected challenged most of the competetors. Many rigged smaller remembering the Very windy second half of the race last year.
jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winning time was 1hour 3 minutes, Dale Cook. followed by Bruce Peterson, Andreas Macke, Derek Nielsen, Stephan Lidington, Doug Beaman, Macrae Wylde, Todd Selby, Pieter Botha, all finished in under an hour and 25 or so minutes. 50 competitors started and 43 finished in under the allowed 5 hour time. Slightly lighter wind than expected challenged most of the competitors. Many rigged smaller remembering the Very windy second half of the race last year. http://www.vmgevents.com/ Does a wonderful job with organizing and running local events. Check there website soon for specific times and places for all the competitors.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...does anyone know why they were not covering this fantastic event? The Gorge and the sport could use the publicity."

http://forums.windsurfingmag.com/showthread.php?t=480
pepig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year's BlowOut was probably one of the most mellow blowouts out of all the ones that I have competed in (7 overall, I think, for me). I rode a Exocet Kona One (SUP/Windsurfboard) and a 9m2 Aerotech Freespeed Cuban Fiber sail.
As usual, the BlowOut is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get, anywhere on the course.

Josh (Windsurfing Magazine) was not in attendance at the event, but had previously agreed to placing a picture and text from the event in the next issue if we got him a good photo.
We also have been in discussion with him about printing an article this winter from both a veteran competitor perspective and a rookie competitor perspective (we thought Andreas Macke and John Ingebritson would both
make for good authors).

Since Josh has been spending the greater part of this summer in the Gorge, I am hopeful that we can expect some more coverage both about locals and local events.

Josh, are you checking this forum?

Pepi
2nd Wind Sports
jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pepi,

I'm here, and I haven't run away with your 4.2 Wink
I used to only check the general forum, but I've got into the habit of checking the NW forum as well.

I was really trying to make it over to Stevenson, it just didn't work out. BTW, way to go on beating John - lord know we've got to keep him humble!

Errr, I know it's not much use for the locals, but did you catch our 16 page Gorge Guide two issues ago?!

Look for LOTS of Gorge coverage in the coming issue, including:

The Rowena Wedding

The Sean Aiken Story
Bruce Peterson's ultimate toolbox..
Great two page spread action shots from Richard Hallman
+freestyle frenzy; Gorge Games, and hatch regular Kris Ostness.

OK, now I feel like I've given away too much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: