myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do Booms typically brake?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schralp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Boom break (brake) Reply with quote

Or, just sail clew first; that's what I do. It's a good workout and unless you've got miles to go, probably not a bad idea since you're usually done for the day.

victor wrote:
booms brake and break, too. i've had three break. every time it was with no warning and i wasn't far from shore.

aluminum booms seemed to last me 2 years(in salt water). i'm on my second year with a one piece carbon boom. had another carbon boom come apart at the head, which shouldn't be a problem with the one piece boom.

checked the price of a carbon boom, lately? i haven't broken mine, yet, but i will probably replace it with a one piece aluminum alloy boom when the time comes. it's getting close to 3 times the price for carbon.

if your boom breaks on the side you need to get back to the launch you can flip it over in order to make it back. ideally, you can accomplish the flip before the current has taken you too far away.

www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had a thought about the role of saltwater with aluminum, could be a reason too. I weigh about 150 and I land my jumps hard and soft, but I would consider myself an aggresive sailor. I just did not expect my boom to go bad at that point because it did not show any signs. I guess the solution to the problem is to exchange them every couple of years.

I just hope none of this will ever happen during a storm in the ocean. Also, the broken boom could have punched a hole into my sail. That day my boom ripped into pieces, there was another sailor in the bay with the same incident. However, he injured his elbow somehow and ended up bleeding quiet a bit. When I saw him come ashore with his pretty big flesh wound, I thought something more similiar to a shark attack happened.
shibumi57

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it, (I'm not married and don't have children), get multiple booms. I have a carbon boom (Fiber Spar) for each sail. 5 sails, 5 carbon booms. My oldest Fiber Spar is 8 years old, but I only sail it on my 6.3. So, in theory it only gets 20% of the work each year. In reality, because I typically sail at the Delta, it gets less than 10% of the work. I've never had a boom break this way and they went through the normal Bay Area sailing abuse.

The 4.7 and 5.2 booms get worked very hard. Yesterday, Sunday July 27th, I sailed 6.3 for about 2 hours in the morning. Nice easy slalom sailing with little stress on the booms. I can hear the boom making a bit of noise though, which the other, newer booms don't. Of course, a swim in to shore at the Delta is much different than a 2-3 mile swim at 3rd avenue would be.
likesitwindy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Carbon boom breaks are not as bad as alum! Reply with quote

Everything will break with time and use ...yet the carbon on the boom breaks and does not (usually) completely separate ....so you have a soft boom that still can get you back in to shore...aluminum is either good or separated ...so you can see that it is another reason to buy a carbon boom ...sadly they are expensive ...a used carbon boom is WAY better than a new aluminum boom ! I have never been fully stranded on a broken carbon boom and have broken a few with lots of use ...also can buy the new parts and fix them ...so you do not have to fully replace it !!!
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, with that in mind I will listen to your advice and be on the lookout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: