myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how to tell wind at different sites in the gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: how to tell wind at different sites in the gorge Reply with quote

i'm finally confirmed to come out aug 7-12..

so how do i know the wind at the different sites?

do i bring my NOAA weather radio?

i know it can be windy at swell city, and at the same time,
have no wind at rowena,
so whats the best way to figure out where to sail each day -
or each morning and then each afternoon?

thanks and hopefully i will meet some of you guys..
chip
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iW pager or cell phone for iW data, a copy of the free Gorge Guide for a map of the sites, a credit card (for gasoline), and a VERY flexible schedule. If your top priority is sailing, get up at dawn ready to hit the road and be willing to burn many dead dinosaurs and sacrifice a lot of sleep. If sailing is high on your list but not exclusive, you can have a much more relaxed and varied trip. Wind stats say you could encounter anything from no wind to 7 days of wind, and you could drive anywhere from 100 miles to 1,000 miles chasing fun here for a week. Never assume it's not sailable somewhere ... ask the shops and consult your data source ... and realize that the Oregon coast is incredible with or without wind. We can almost guarantee one thing: you will be overwhelmed with the variety of activities and venues here.

BTW ... it not only can be but very often is windy at the Hatchery but not at the Event Site, and you can see each from the other and, if both are windy, sail from the Hatch to the Event Site in 5-10 minutes. It CAN be windy at Swell or the Hatch but not at the other, and Tiger Woods could just about drive a golf ball from one to the other. This place makes no sense to even some locals, let alone newbies. You'll really want to consult your gear rental shop and sailors with local license plates for advice.

And, oh yes ... you will met more people than you can shake a stick at, but you'll seldom know which ones are in this forum because very few of them have the guts to identify themselves. Wink

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge wind has been flukey at best, just like the stock market... really hard to figure. Of course, in the market there's always no brainer Exxon stocks with earnings soaring like an eagle.... likewise, this year the no brainer Gorge windy spot award goes to Mosier. Go to Mosier and it's about 90% guranteed that you will score big winds. If not, try Rowena/Dougs.... second best Gorge windy spot this year. Just don't go very far east or west, as these sites generally have not been good areas this year. Also, this year has seen either really strong 3.2-3.7 wind, or really light 5.2-5.7 wind. I have not even used my 4.2 sail at all this year, normally that's all I use.

Of course, this could all change by the time you get here.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Just don't go very far east or west, as these sites generally have not been good areas this year.

Merely all-time record wind, according to all the east side locals.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
WMP wrote:
Just don't go very far east or west, as these sites generally have not been good areas this year.

Merely all-time record wind, according to all the east side locals.

Mike \m/

Ah haa!! So, everyone should go east then. Good, that leaves the west side all to me.

Wink
dclopez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's overcast or blowing easterly ... Hatchery/CheapBeach/SwellCity in the morning thru noon ... Rowena/Dougs in the afternoon thru early evening... if it is blowing easterly then Home Valley or Stevenson in the mid-morning ... when in doubt follow the crowd when your current site starts to suddenly empty ...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Ah haa!! So, everyone should go east then. Good, that leaves the west side all to me.

Sorry, but it's too late now; we're back to normal (i.e., iffy) summer desert winds. I wouldn'ta said a dang thing if we were still in that pattern.

Mike \m/
dclopez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and of course ... if nobody's there when you arrive ... you're either a) up before dawn; b) arriving after-dark; c) trespassing; d) incredibly lucky guess; or e) guessed wrong ... most likely (e) where then you should flag somebody down with access to iwindsurf info ... (it should be noted that what you save in gas costs should more than make up for access to iwindurf info via your cell phone) ...
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
WMP wrote:

Sorry, but it's too late now; we're back to normal (i.e., iffy) summer desert winds. I wouldn'ta said a dang thing if we were still in that pattern.

Mike \m/

Yeah well, tanks for the Monday morning quarterback report Mike Wink

BTW, even if I KNEW the wind pattern would be guaranteed to be rock 'n & roll'n WAY out east there, I'd have second thoughts about driving that distance... for the same reason I don't own any shares of Exxon/Mobile. Last time I went out there was that lame day we met when it had been forecast by ALL the forecasts that it was gonna go off big out east.... turned out to be one of the best Hatch days of the year.

So much for the Gorge wind forecasts?
ascott72

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get up in the morning and head to one of the numerous windsurfing shops in Hood River and check the IWindsurf forecast and current observations. Simple as that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: