myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nealpar - Lucoff altercation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggesting we pull the plug on the baywatch boat inside the slot to end this maddness? Surprised Rolling Eyes
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Mickey Dora/Johnny Fain interplays were always a classic in the old surf movies of the day that included Malibu as a venue. Maybe nealpar could understand a bit better if she spent some time viewing some of the old surf movies of the 60s. Dora was an real legend in his time, and his antics dealing with shoulder hoppers only added to his stature overall.

Thanks windoggie for the great post. A picture often says a thousand words.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda makes you wonder if the kind of stuff Dora used to do would have been considered assault? Back then people weren't as sue happy as they seem to be today, a guy that shoulder hopped took his chances knowing he didn't have the wave and either kicked out or took the abuse.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read "All For a Few Perfect Waves" if you haven't already. I remember reading Dora's rants in various surf mags when I was just a young teenager.
I still have some of those magazines carefully stashed away. He left quite a wake behind him.

laci

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone reads "All for a few perfect Waves", the Miki Dora biography, they will note two facts. Terry Lucoff was a personal friend of Miki Dora's, making boards for him at NP. He is quoted in the book. And, oddly enough, Dora was a Hungarian, born in Budapest. Neilpar is Hungarian. Some weird coincidences there.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed getting a shoulder hopper into an over-the-falls situation on a bigger wave. The thing that was so great is that you didn't really have to hit them or touch them, but simply move around them and cut them off and to ultimately run them up into the hard pitching section with nowhere to go but a wipeout off the top. Not always easy to set up, but a classic way to make them pay greatly for their foolishness.
tlucoff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to thank everyone for their support.

At this time I am requesting letters from any eyewitness that was on the
in the water or on the beach on at Leo on Thursday July 31

or

any letters of personal support or about wave riding at leo and wave riding safety and wave priority

Your Letters can be emailed to MalibuRE@aol.com
or mailed to
Terry Lucoff
c/o Coldwell Banker
23676 Malibu Road
Malibu, California 90265

Please include your e mail address and contact information and if this information can be used in an upcoming court case
Do not post them on this site. If you have any questions you may contact me by e mail at the above address or at 310-924-1045
tstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Mickey Dora story that explains all:

As if fearing that someone might overhear us, Mickey carefully scanned the area before revealing his final reason. "Saltwater," he whispered.

"Saltwater?" I asked.

"Oh yes," Mickey said. "Living so close to saltwater is dangerous because it gets in the air. Then you breath it in and, after time, your brain rots like a driftwood log."

"Oh ..." said I.

"That's why so many surfers we know are so stupid," said Mickey.

"Right," I answered. "So ... what about me?"

"Move," said Mickey. "Move before it's too late."
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: THIS THREAD IS DEAD!!! Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed getting a shoulder hopper into an over-the-falls situation on a bigger wave. The thing that was so great is that you didn't really have to hit them or touch them, but simply move around them and cut them off and to ultimately run them up into the hard pitching section with nowhere to go but a wipeout off the top. Not always easy to set up, but a classic way to make them pay greatly for their foolishness.
Alright SW, you've finally broken out of your Santa Barbarian soma-coma and have officially joined the Leo Aggro Crew with that post. Now about this Mickey Dora thing... the next time you make the run to Leo, you've got to wear a black leather jacket and practice the double finger snaps like Eric Von Zipper from the Annette beach movies. We want you as our Sargent at Arms D'Wave to keep order. Also, in the upcoming film, Leo the Movie, the part of Da Bull will be played by Gary Busey. Pass the Cuervo, Bull
theq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder if the kind of stuff Dora used to do would have been considered assault? Back then people weren't as sue happy as they seem to be today, a guy that shoulder hopped took his chances knowing he didn't have the wave and either kicked out or took the abuse.

A friend of mine recently told me a story about his friend's meeting with Dora. He said that his friend shoulder-hopped Dora. Dora summarily shot his board out at this guy and knocked 4 of his teeth out. Before the guy went to the dentist, he beat the living crap out of Dora. The guy who told me this has a lot of credibility with me. Whether or not this was just something that the subject friend told him about, I can't say. I'd guess that it was left out of the Dora book either way. Maybe not. I haven't read it. Perhaps it was just da Cat meeting da Mighty Mouse?
Mickey Dora still R.I.P.'s, at least it says so on his marker.

BTW: Here's a link to a concise explanation of wave etiquette by a rather curvy expert on youtube. Nice body of information indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2Mv85qN_g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 7 of 21

Jump to: