myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Floras Lake Camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccoyms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Floras Lake Camping Reply with quote

Does anyone have suggestions on camping at Floras Lake. I know that there is a local park that is first com/first serve, as well as Cape Blanco. Has anyone stayed at the KOA? I've had mixed experiences at other KOAs, so looking for any advice. I'm also not opposed to dry camping (I'm taking a travel trailer) and any interesting, legal places would be good to know (other than Walmart parking lot).
drblanke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed in the national forest east of Floras. There are some official sites, but I think you can legally camp anywhere you can find a safe place to park off the road, and it's free. A bit of a drive from the lake though but at least you'll be away from the coast fog in the morning.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the website and inquire about staying right there for less than anywhere else.
Dat way, you don't gotta drive in.
robgray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed a night at the KOA 4 years ago and found it to be a dump. I would have been much happier to make a go of it on a forest service road. The campground at the lake is the best, but if it's full try the state park at Cape Blanco or Humbug Mountain.
robgray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed a night at the KOA 4 years ago and found it to be a dump. I would have been much happier to make a go of it on a forest service road. The campground at the lake is the best, but if it's full try the state park at Cape Blanco or Humbug Mountain.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gin and tonic time

Floras.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.74 KB
 Viewed:  13232 Time(s)

Floras.jpg

wsmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine frequents Floras Lake during the summers, and he reports that this summer the lake has been nearly deserted due to increased fuel prices. You'll be able to grab a spot on a weekend with a good forecast unless you arrive late in the day. If there aren't any spots when you arrive, they do have "day use" parking right next to camping spots so you could park there and wait for a spot to clear, or park there, sail then go camp in the forest or KOA.

When I visited it in years past I never had a problem finding a spot. The hot showers and 100ft walking distance to fully rigged gear on the beach make the National Forest idea seem a little less than ideal if you're just going to sail. Also, see above photo taken from one of the camp sites.

*one other note: sometimes it blows all night long and all day which can make for cold camping if you don't have a wind block to the north.
mccoyms

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm hoping that the wind will be decent for my trip. My buddy would probably do better there than at Hood River because he's even more of a beginner than I am. I'm getting there on a Sunday, so it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem. I'll be in a camper, so temperature shouldn't be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: