myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thanks for the Rescue - Lost Rig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Rescue - Lost Rig! Reply with quote

Thank you to the sailors that spotted my board and the fisherman at the White Salmon bridge who retrieved my board!

Out for 1-1/2 hours at the Event Site sailing on my 4.2, jumping port and tack, just east of the White Salmon Bridge. On my jibe in the swells, my rig separated from my board (luckily after the barge had passed).

I was out of the main current, and started swimming my rig back to Oregon, when the mast started sinking. Dumped the rig and just started paddling to Oregon. Had my Promotion 3/2 short arm long leg suit, a non-approved flotation jacket and my helmet. I wasn't looking for help - I know it's self rescue.

Out swimming for 40 minutes, when Doug Beeman (OR-Cool spotted me, and gave me a tow the rest of the way to the new Water Park! Thanks!

Other sailors spotted my board and tracked me down. Thanks for letting me know of the fisherman who grabbed the board, and held it for me!

If you see my rig floating by on the way to the hatchery, it is a bright 2-tone orange Northwave sail, Chinook Carbon Boom, Chinook mast base.

This will be 29 years sailing the Gorge, and my first swim across the Columbia - did I tell you I hate swimming... I still hate swimming!

Stephanie Eng
Doug's Sports / Hood River Windsurfing
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came from Cheap Beach to WS bridge today... don't think this was yours, but I did see carnage (board & rig) on the rocks just east of the WS bridge around 1 PM.... close to Bozo. Looked like someone got stuck downstream and just gave up the fight and came to shore along the rocks, I didn't see any people. Hope they were able to make it back safely... glad you are alright too!!
dkraske

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said he saw a rig floating down by the hatchery so he towed it in to the pebble beach. Could be yours. He left today for Quebec and there is no way to get in touch with him to find out if it matches your description.

Good Luck.
masterblaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: lost rig Reply with quote

why would you leave your board? i would always stay with the board and use it to float....surfer style. is this the same woman who got stuck in a out of bounds hole at meadows a few years back?
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Information, I'll check out the rig - if it is still there.

Boy, did I swim for the board. Had my fingertips on it for a second, but the wind and waves took the board away too fast - I was out in the channel and max'd on my 4.2. That left me with a rig. It was floating and bright orange, and visible, so I started swimming with the rig, until it started going below the surface and causing more drag with the current, and I was almost even with the bridge.

In the old production board days, I used to have a safety strap attached to the mast track and a short piece of line attaching the rig to the board, in case the universal would blow. That back-up would have kept my rig from separating from the board and allowing the board to fly away.
hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the answer to your other question. No, I wasn't the woman who got stuck out of bounds. I worked at Snowbird, UT for a few winters. Too much respect to go out of bounds.

By the way, why did you find her out of bounds (ski patrol)?
masterblaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

sorry you couldn't hold on to your board. i know the feeling. anyway its over and the main thing is save yourself. one time i kept swimming toward my board and the current eventually worked for me. it took about 10 minutes but i got it back..anyway, that woman was stuck in a hole standing in a riverbed for quite a while. someone heard her yelling and reported it. ski patrol to the rescue. i agree, stay in bounds...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: