myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
An excellent video on the Olympic windsurfing venue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice quality video....lame windsurfing action. I guess there in no minimum amount of wind they will race in for the games? Looks like the attack of the Tuna boats!
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised at how many windsurfers don't realize that windsurfing IS a part of the Olympics. It's one of the types of sailing craft so you do have to know where to look.

I also tried watching a couple of the races and I agree that it isn't very exciting to watch. It's hard to follow the race and even harder to understand what is going on at the finishing area with all the boats and all the sailors seemingly going every which way. I can't imagine non-windsurfers watching any of this for more than a minute unless they know someone in the race.

I felt sorry for these guys in 7-8 knots of wind. It was marginal conditions and it all came down to who could pump the fastest and the longest. I know they train for this and it comes with the territory but I wonder how the results would have been, had they been able fully plane? Different strategies and probably different winners.

Any chance that any of the other windsurfing disciplines (wave, freestyle, supercross) will ever make it to the Olympics? That would certainly stir up more interest for the sport. But I guess the folks in the wind challenged places would be at a disadvantage.

Next time you're cursing while schlogging back to the launch, just think of the Olympics!

Alak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: