myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting back into Windsurfing - Need some tips on equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashepp2633

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Getting back into Windsurfing - Need some tips on equipment Reply with quote

Hi Folks, Looks like a really active and helpful community here on iwindsurf.
I'm a brit who's been over here in Seattle for about 12 years now. I'm looking to get into the local Windsurf scene after nothing more than the occasional recreational rental in Hawaii.

I would say I'm about intermediate proficiency though still rusty. My previous equipment was a Bic 280 Astrojet I think with about 120l of volume, a quiver of North Sails, harness, etc. I can water start and just about carve jibe Smile

Would love to pick up some used equipment to get me back on the water. Any suggestions for best places around Seattle to look ? Also feel free to give me a shout on 206 234 5222 if you've got something that might be suitable.

Much appreciated.
Adam.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to the gorge would be worth your time with many so many shops that have cheap used gear, or a swap meet. Windance (the best), 2nd Wind, Gorge surf shop, big winds, isthmus to name just a few shops with lots of stuff......
ascott72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what the windsurfing scene is like in the Seattle area so I don't know what kind of gear you need (130 liter board, quiver of sails from 7.0 - 4.2?) but it is worth making a trip to Hood River for either a CGWA or Windance swap meet. Best place to pick up new gear cheap. Mostly high wind stuff but there's some bigger gear floating around too.
You can also check Craig's List.

http://windsurf.gorge.net/cgwa/swap.html
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most sailible days in Seattle seem to be in the 8-18mph range, you'd need big boards and bigger sails, like maybe at least 120 liter board and sails centered around 8 meters.
Most of my friends up there use Formula and low 10's, to max out the # of planing days.
You didn't mention YOUR sizing, very important in the final choice of gear.
Yeah, hit the Gorge using up your 6 hour drive, but it's worth it for the amazing amount of used gear at incredibly low prices.
forwards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group below is fairly active in the pacNW, and FS/WTB gear postings are allowed every wednesday:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NW-WINDTALK/
Suggest you copy your original post there.
Local SEA sailing conditions are generally light during summer, though a number of locals are into formula stuff... see "city league" posts in this link. Most of us make the wknd drive to the gorge. In fall/winter/spring there can be good wind locally, and there are a number of good places withing 2 hours driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: