myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner gear for the east coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reggief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Beginner gear for the east coast Reply with quote

I have a friend who sails and surfs and now wants to try windsurfing. He lives on the east coast and is asking me what equipment to buy and where. He sent me this website for something he was going to purchase unless I felt the need to intervene. Anybody have ideas for how to guide/help him?

Thanks!

http://www.the-house.com/bcnv21060kitzz-bic-nova.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopcomparefeed
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Tell him to take lessons first. Lessons are the best starting point. A 2 day lesson will have him well on his way. How else can you learn about "points of sail" and most important "rigging a sail"!???
I have come a long way since taking half a day learning to tie on a boom. Times have changed but not that much.
If he wants the best possible start he should take classes.

The Bic Nova looks like a nice start!
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where on the east coast? I may be able to refer him to a local shop in his area. Supporting the local/shop school and buying locally is the way to go...so he can learn the sport first, then get a rig session on all the gear. People who buy on line often will not learn how to rig properly (or forget to install the vent screw on their board...).

Here are some good reasons to buy local>

Top 10 Reasons to Support Your Local Shop (versus buying online)

Equipment Expertise: Kiting and Windsurfing are complex sports from an equipment standpoint. Have a local expert help you decide what equipment is best for you and benefit from them showing you how to set it up and rig it properly.

Warranty Support: If you have any issues with your gear, your local shop can help support your warranty. That saves you the trouble of dealing with shipping your gear off to some far away place, and waiting for it to be fixed.

Safety Knowledge: Your local shop is a great resource for helping you to stay safe. Most kite shops will not let people even buy kite equipment without the customer having taken lessons. Your local shop knows the local conditions and can outfit you with the right safety gear (knife, strobe light, whistle, spare line, etc.). Do you know how to perform a self rescue in the middle of the Bay? Let your local shop help keep you informed and outfitted for safety.

Have Somewhere to Buy Accessories When You Need Them Most: When something breaks when you are out sailing or kiting, you can't buy a quick replacement online. If everyone shops online, the local shops go out of business and you have no where to go when the wind rocks, but you're missing a part. You may pay a little more (they do have to pay their rent) but it is worth it to have the help when you need it.

Instant Gratification: When you are psyched to buy gear, why wait to receive it? Buy from your local shop so you can walk away with gear in hand.

Buying Power Discounts: The more you buy from one retailer, the more of a discount they can give you. If you go in to your local shop to spend $1500-$2000 on a full set up, they can give you a discount. If you only buy occasionally for accessories, you won't be able to enjoy the discounts available to frequent shoppers.

Swap Meets: Local shops host swap meets every season. This is a great way to buy inexpensive used gear. The shops usually have a special sale going on at the same time.

Gear Demos: Shops demo equipment for buyers that allow you to try gear before you buy it. This allows you to really know what you are getting and know you like it!

Repair Services: Shops will offer board repair or kite repair. Support your local shop so you have somewhere to go to fix what breaks!
Feel Good Supporting Businesses That You Like: Find a shop you like and support them. Buying online can be an impersonal experience. Getting to know your local shop owners and shop employees can not only help your equipment buying needs, you may make new friends. Supporting your local community just feels good!

Jane
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - SF - San Mateo
reggief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His response to where do you live was:

"In the virginia piedmont. Within 2 hours of lake anna, chesapeake bay and the tidal potomac."
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just met an incredibly nice and devoted shop owner last week while at a product meeting for Starboard 09 stuff up in Oregon. His name is Mark and he is the shop owner for the "East of Maui" Shop in Annapolis, MD. I believe they have a partnership with the local windsurfing association or some school link where your friend could get lessons. After that Mark can help him with gear. They're near the Chesapeake Bay so I hope that helps - if not, Mark will know what else is in that area.

Have your friend call Mark at East of Maui and tell him Jane & Rebecca from Boardsports referred him!

Here is a link to their website:
http://www.eastofmauiboardshop.com/contact/

Good luck!
Jane
Boardsports School & Shop
http://www.boardsportsschool.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: