myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Downhaul tension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the Formula 9-12 meter sails seem to have the highest percentate of twist and slack droop.
My 3.0 Voodoo seems to have lots of twist and droop, when maxed out downhaul to the MAX mark, which seem to be how they like to be sailed under any wind conditions.
Just about all my post '91 sails need droop to at least 2.5 battens down from the top, with the exception of the Northwave 4.7, which seems to do well with very moderate slack to the first batten.....maybe concurring to Isobar's observation that thoses sails are designed differently than the norm.
But still, a bird flapping and gliding is a pretty good example of how our windsurfing sails should look and behave.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Most Sails have downhaul Indicators these days Reply with quote

If you use the downhaul Indicator on the sail and the proper mast you should be close o the correct adjustment. More downhaul tension equals less power and a flatter sail which means more control and better ability to remain stable in the gusts to my understanding. Also downhaul and outhaul effect one another. The more you outhaul the less floppy the leech appears . If you adjust the downhaul you should readjust the outhaul . When I first set up my downhaul I usually go a little bet further than I want it knowing that when I outhaul some of downhall will disappear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: