myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good location on north shore of Long Island for E and NE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rroeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Good location on north shore of Long Island for E and NE? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a good launch for E and NE winds on the north shore of Long Island, preferrably not too far from Port Jefferson? For example, do people ever sail near Mt Sinai harbor of Sound Beach?

If the forecast holds for Friday, I've got to know where to go!!

Thanks for the advice, Roland
georgemarr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: E - NE on LI Reply with quote

Hi Roland,

NE to E on the N. Shore of LI is best at Center Island Beach (CIB) in Bayville and Crab Meadow beach in Northport. CIB even gets ridable DTL waves when the wind blows hard for several hours. Crab also gets waves that are good for backside rides.

You should also join longislandwindsurfer on http://groups.yahoo.com/. It is a very active group and you will learn where we are sailing for any given conditions. Send an email to the moderator at LongIslandWindsurfer-subscribe@yahoogroups.com requesting to join.

George
rroeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

Thanks for the ideas on where to go, and for letting me know about the Yahoo group! Maybe I'll see you out on the water this Friday...

Roland
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roland,

I'm in Port Jeff Station.

We head over to Cedar Beach in Port Jeff/Mt. Sinai on a NE. Be ready for some shore break. You can also make your way out back in the harbor for some nice flat water. wed. I'm looking to go to Napeague, but if it's a bust I'll most likely wind up at cedar. Thursday and Friday is either Heckscher or Cedar for me also. If it's NE, It's cedar for sure. The conditions are very similar to Crab Meadow.

See you at the Beach,

Mike Burns
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Good location on north shore of Long Island for E and N Reply with quote

rroeder wrote:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a good launch for E and NE winds on the north shore of Long Island, preferrably not too far from Port Jefferson? For example, do people ever sail near Mt Sinai harbor of Sound Beach?

If the forecast holds for Friday, I've got to know where to go!!

Thanks for the advice, Roland

If you were prepared to travel a bit, there are two locations further east that you should know about, that on average get 5 knots more wind on E and NE.

For East wind, there's some excellent wave sailing to be done at Ponquogue.
For NE wind, you can choose between shallow flatwater blasting and open water big swell riding at Napeague/Gardiner's bay.

Both of these locations (as well as those mentioned by George and Mike B) can be found on the Long Island Windsurfing Map (on my blog) here:
http://peconicpuffin.typepad.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/12/windsurfing_pec.html

All of that being said, CIB is a great spot! And by all means join the Yahoo LI Windsurfing group.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: