myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Worst forecast ever?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Worst forecast ever? Reply with quote

I got up early because the forecast called for 30 Kts on the Cape. At 04:30 I looked at the observations and Kalmus shows 0 kts, as does most of the Cape. I've never seen the forecast that far off.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny wasn't it? The low system actually broke up faster than they expected with the eye of the cyclonic activity passing futher inland than expected. We now have another one headed our way. Just hang at the beach for another day or so and you will see your 30 and then gusts over 40. If you want some more sane action, perhaps this afternoon will have some steady winds in the high teens.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2:00 pm - still calm here Oliver.

RC
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the worst forecast ever, or would that be thursday's forecast? forget iwindsurf for their forecasts - they are TERRIBLE at it. use them for the observation map - use windguru for your forecasts. thursday's forecast was just as bad - supposed to blow in the mid 20's - never broke 12 - great job!
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how wrong it was for upstate NY and Vermont! It was supposed to pour rain all day and have not seen a drop yet. In fact...it's been sunny! haha.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOAA wx radio replaced their usual cycle of zone forecasts and current observation roundups with an endless loop of nothing but High Wind Warnings one day in NM. We blew off work, drove our usual 185 miles with grins on our faces and the pedal to the metal.

$#!+! NADA! Not a damned WHIFF all day. Drove back 185 miles with no grins, just empty gas tanks and a wasted day of vacation time.

But our all-time prize -- we gave him a trophy -- went to the guy who chased a similar forecast 185 miles to another NM lake, sat there all day for nada, drove 185 miles home, walked into the house in time to see the weatherman say "Oops; tomorrow", turned around and drove 185 miles back to the lake, got a little bit of sleep, and spent the next day on his smallest sail. His response was something like, "What's 740 miles of driving if it nets a great day on a 3.7?"

Mike \m/
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, the NOAA website and magicseaweed had the same forecast as iwindsurf. I'm just glad I didn't book a room and drive to the Cape last night. I agree the observation page is the most valuable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: