myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CC's Forecast - Here We Go Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday the environmental police closed the parking lot at West Dennis Beach at 4:30, kicked us all out. That was just when the wind was getting good! A few of us moved over to the Lighthouse Inn (where some of us were staying for the weekend), others moved to South Beach. We briefly got a torrential downpour with 25 MPH wind, then it died around 6:00. It was a crazy session.

Sunday was glassy, in spite of all the windy forecasts. West Dennis stayed closed.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
On Saturday the environmental police closed the parking lot at West Dennis Beach at 4:30, kicked us all out. That was just when the wind was getting good!

What gives them the authority to do that? They're a state agency and the beach is a town beach. Did they give any reasons? You should have stayed out on the water and ignored them.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
What gives them the authority to do that? They're a state agency and the beach is a town beach. Did they give any reasons? You should have stayed out on the water and ignored them.

Go get 'em, Brucie!!

If anybody knows about environmental police and state agencies, it's you, big guy. Wink
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the environmental police. It was a green truck, with flashing lights, green uniformed officers. I just glanced at the lettering on the truck and then wasn't sure about it later. The last time I was kicked out of West Dennis it was by the environmental police. In Duxbury it's the habor master that kicks people out. It's always, "for your own good," but it's frustrating.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Friday's forecast calls for SW @ 23kts for Kalmus. I have the day off. I hope this one comes through.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I think it was the environmental police. It was a green truck, with flashing lights, green uniformed officers. I just glanced at the lettering on the truck and then wasn't sure about it later. The last time I was kicked out of West Dennis it was by the environmental police. In Duxbury it's the habor master that kicks people out. It's always, "for your own good," but it's frustrating.
Ya, those are the environmental police. If they are blocking the gate, then you are thwarted. They took over there on the pretense of protecting the plovers, but it isn't their beach. You can ignore them. Rolling Eyes The Harbormasters are another pain in the neck. It's best to avoid talking with any of them. They know next to nothing about windsurfing. You probably have R.I. plates which only emboldens these local yokels. If you get up early and launch before they awaken, you can put yourself in the great position of having them watch you from the shore. If they approached you in the windsurfing section, did they sit and wait until you had packed up and left? Whatever, your only recourse now would be to write a letter to Dustin Pineau, (dpineau@town.dennis.ma.us) the Beach Director for the town of Dennis and complain. You can also send a copy to the Cape Cod Times. Nevertheless, with serious budget cuts coming at the state level, many of these rent-a-cops will be "kicked out" as well.
OliverTwist wrote:
OK. Friday's forecast calls for SW @ 23kts for Kalmus. I have the day off. I hope this one comes through.
Moi aussi.
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did mostly ignore them. I launched surreptitiously after they had arrived and sailed over to the Lighthouse Inn. My wife moved our truck. At one point they drove their truck down the beach with lights flashing, honking thier horn to try to get me to come in. I just sailed out further from shore and made my way to the Inn. Unfortunatly, almost everyone else in our group had to move their vehicles and ended up cutting their session short just when it was getting good.
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also watching the forecast Oliver.

A 2:30 high tide makes CC Bay look pretty good too!

RC
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
...with serious budget cuts coming at the state level, many of these rent-a-cops will be "kicked out" as well.

Brucie, perhaps there's a hidden opportunity buried in there for you. Maybe you could get your very own town "rent-a-cop" job and patrol Waquoit Bay. Neighbors would no doubt enjoy the entertainment of an occasional visit by a town clown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: