myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Outa my way E Wind Sailworks people
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarryW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars you might want to be careful about calling Phil McGain names. Didn't you get end up in court because you called a french man a frog in print? Just curious.
jb8015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[If you're not hucking, why run a sail with its high COE, and if you always tune the high COE out with extra downhaul, why buy a Hucker in the first place? ]

Hucker are great sails, even if you don't jump. Incredible range and loads of power. The only drawback that I have found is that they are not great wave sails because you can't shut off the power as easily as a wave sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
Isobars you might want to be careful about calling Phil McGain names. Didn't you get end up in court because you called a french man a frog in print? Just curious.

a. I didn't call him any names. I simply repeated his reputation, based on others' opinions, numerous complaints to his sponsor (who said "Yes, but he wins races for us, so who cares?"), threats to his race gear by pissed people, and the single most arrogant action I've ever seen on the Columbia, which almost cost AHD a board and Phil some physical injury.

b. I didn't even know what the term "frog" meant until a few years ago, I don't use racial or ethnic slurs (although I don't see why "frog" is considered offensive), and this is the first time I've heard that rumor; did you just now make it up?

c. Are you kidding me? I've been libeled viciously and without any proof for thousands of posts over many years in this forum and several others (the miniature pit bull wannabes here should take lessons from the four W's over at rec.w) simply because:
1) I lean to the right side (in every way, IMO) of the political fence,
2) I post almost as often as Steve Chandler, and
3) I present facts and opinions without concern for one of the greater threats to our society: political correctness.

d. If you think I have one iota of concern for attack dogs' feelings or will stoop to their baseless form of ad hominem, guess again. If I take the offensive towards a person, it is with certainty, proof, and specific relevant purpose and it’s neither veiled nor fiction, as evidenced by tens of thousands of my archived posts. The only person I ever laid into on a purely personal and beyond-factual basis was a self-admitted internet thief; once I found out who he was and where he lived and sailed, his local peers and his Mommy ground the cash out of him >10 years ago. That -- and his recent marriage -- is the only reason I’m not reprinting that blast again, with names.

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb8015 wrote:
Hucker are great sails, even if you don't jump. Incredible range and loads of power. The only drawback that I have found is that they are not great wave sails because you can't shut off the power as easily as a wave sail.

I don't deny their excellence, and sent Bruce a long review after he loaned me a couple of them for testing. But they were designed for one purpose (skyshots) for one individual Sailworks employee (Dale Cook), with no intention of offering them to the general public. Of course, Dale's altitude and attitude quickly put them in demand, so SW acquiesced and began producing them with this paraphrased caveat: their high center of effort makes them pitchy; they pull from high up, requiring extra effort and focus to hold them down. That's part and parcel of their power, and my full-day test ride on them confirmed, IMO, that they seem to have more power than comparably sized sails but they also FEEL larger due to the higher COE, so the advantage is a wash. Lowering the COE via extra downhaul discards the jumping advantage, leaving just another excellent but less unique Sailworks product.

Mike \m/
wooot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5.6 hucker... which for gorge type "Swell slashing" in this wind range absolutly rocks!....... BECAUSE it does not depower to easily.... It is also extremely stable in big gusts and just pushes you forward faster when shooting downwind, or down a "MASSIVE" 5 foot max. high swell.

Now don't get me wrong... from 5.2 down,I want a sail that depowers instantly ( I have all Northwaves)

But it bigger stuff... POWER,SPEED, and STABILITY are where it's at.... (in no particualar order... but hopefully all 3)....plus the ability to coast through holes.

Windpig
vikingsail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Huckers, they rock on gusty lakes. I usually am out with my 6.6 Hucker when my friends are out on 8.0's and 8.5's when the white caps are just starting and then when the wind picks up to 18-20 I downhaul and outhaul and am still out on the 6.6. Now I have a 5.6 and Have sailed it from 18 to 30 mph.
Yes they do have more power but with an adjustible outhaul or an RDM mast they can be tightened up when the wind picks up. I will agree a Hucker is an aquired taste but once you learn to tune they are alot of fun.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I can see why folks like 'em. I tried the Hucker sail and thought it was great..... however, the design just didn't give me all the options I desired. I like a powerful sail, but -for me- the power needs to be down lower than the Hucker offers.

Nope, nothing wrong with Sailworks Hucker sails, they offer a sweet ride to those who desire that particular power performance. I just noticed that those dudes at Stevenson on Hucker sails didn't seem to have much control over their sailing and no respect for anyone else, perhaps this contributed to their senseless, reckless and irresponsible sailing. They seemed to be stoked from the fact they had very powerful sails, really needed to be informed that the attitude and actions they expressed would not be tolerated, especially in peace-loving small town Stevenson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: