myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FL Forecast - Much less accurate than VA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: FL Forecast - Much less accurate than VA Reply with quote

When living in Tidewater, VA, I found the iWindsurf forecast to be very useful; much more accurate and detailed than any other forecast.

Since moving to Fort Pierce, FL, I have been disappointed in the forecast, which consistently overestimates the wind across the entire treasure coast region...

Every day the blue line predicts an afternoon thermal getting up to around 15 mph. Every day the actuals are about 8 mph. That's a big difference! The lack of wind is bad enough without the misleading forecasts. Smile

Also, even though there are tons of kiters and quite a few windsurfers in the area, there is no live meteorologist report that I'm aware of. I don't reckon I'll pay for a non-trial membership until there is.
letsrig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Pass this along to the crew at iWindsurf. They need to hear things such as this. Drop a message to jay_at_iwindsurf.com and matt_at_iwindsurf.com.

Glenn

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been advertising for a new weather guesser(s). emailed Matt a bit about this very issue myself. I've been doing my own diligence for a long time. Wx guessing is all statistical analysis. I've learned to use the sensors and mine own head along with an array of guesses to help me know when to squeeze the trigger.

One of the key non-sea breeze season clues for me is the buoys. If they are doing something early, odds are at least Playalinda will get a bit of that. Sea breezes have specific temperature requirements. Once you key on the right levels at the right spots, it's easy to anticipate bumps in winds.
kajTEK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion about the bouys.. forgot bout them..
Also i guess the temp that a seabreeze needs is different from east side o florida to west side..

here in gulf side tampa ive been lookin not just at the blue line but lately the Nam module has been giving a decent prediction too at least for comparison..and the direction isnt as on as the blue but the strenght has been falling more towards the nam in the last 2 weeks or so.. so i just use the two togetehr n make my guess- ive been able to get out almost everyday though!

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key spots for my local micro climates are more immediate. There are wx sensor arrays that show winds and temps. The temps along US 1 are the ones I key on for sea breeze guessing. When they exceed 87 degrees or higher, this time of year I look for wind direction changes that the wx guessers haven't indicated. SB are usually SE, but can be NE esp in the early spring. What direction they mainly are over in W FL is beyond me.

Water temps locally and offshore tend to complicate the wx guess for me, but that's the major thrust of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: