myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is SUP gathering happening at Doheney this weekend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Is SUP gathering happening at Doheney this weekend? Reply with quote

Read in newspaper a few weeks ago about a SUP event this weekend. Anyone know if its still on? I believe it's to be this Saturday.

Max
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is SUP gathering happening at Doheney this weekend? Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
Read in newspaper a few weeks ago about a SUP event this weekend. Anyone know if its still on? I believe it's to be this Saturday.

Max

Yup, Lopez Battle of the Paddle will be on Saturday the 11th: http://www.rainbowsandals.com/battleofthepaddle/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry fee is $200, just in case you thought it was gonna be free!

However the age group race is $30 plus $25 for lunch.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Entry fee is $200, just in case you thought it was gonna be free!

However the age group race is $30 plus $25 for lunch.

The $200 entry fee is for elite-level athletes, who will be competing for a $10000 purse.

The entry fee for non-elite racers is $30.

There is also a manufacturer's expo and demos that will likely be free.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: A good event.. Reply with quote

Good turn out, hundreds of people showed up, lots of competitors on the water (probably over 70 on the water for the open entry).

The winds were on to about 20 mph which made it quite a challenge, some kiters even hit the water...

I got to check out the 12.6 cruiser from starboard (did not demo) but talked to Scott from Starboard and gave me some good perspective on these boards that double as SUP/ windsurf boards... thanks Scott.

The cruiser strikes me as a board that could be fun to sail and SUP...if any one has additional info or experience, it would be appreciated. What I learned is that the rails of the cruiser are better designed for sailing as oppossed to the rails of the 12 ft. which has a softer rail, of course these all have rockers for waves and the cruiser is a 30.5 inch wide as oppossed to a 32 inch on the 12 ft. starboard

Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: