myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape spot for kiter and beginnerish windsurfer on NE wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRuffus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Cape spot for kiter and beginnerish windsurfer on NE wind Reply with quote

anybody got any good spots I can go with the wife sunday? If its NE, I will be kiting, and her windsurfing...whats a good mellow spot that the both of us could go that will work with the NE wind?
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Chapin beach. Can only sail about 2 1/2 hours either side of high tide. It's flat on the inside for a beginner, but
you can kite on the inside or outside for waves.
Kiters can also kite almost anytime as you can walk across the low tide flats. It's very flat on the inside at or near high tide.
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like a broken record, but Pleasant Bay is pretty safe. A NE will push you into shore whether going out or back or down wind. If the forecast holds, I'm not sure that any place will be that "low key / mellow"

RC
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapin is a great spot, but it can sometimes be a little more than mellow, depending on tide and wind strength. I think of it as an expert site but an ambitious intermediate would probably be O.K. especially if they do short runs on the inside. The waves never get really big or punishing so it's great for beginner wave sailors on the outside.

Duxbury, north of the bridge, is somewhat mellow, SUPER flat water in NE, good for 3 or 4 hours each side of high tide, 45 minutes closer than going to the Cape from the north country, but the bridge directly downwind may get in the way of launching your kite and can be intimidating to beginner/intermediate windsurfers.

Pleasant Bay/ Chatham has strong current, crazy chop in places, but some very nice enclosed spots, bonus is that you can kite out to pretty big waves thru the new cut while your wife stays inside. Not much parking.

Pleasure Bay in Boston is enclosed and mellow but never ranks among anyones favorite spots except for shorter drive than Cape.

Ninigret Pond in R.I., same distance from Boston as Cape, extremely mellow, enclosed, mostly shallow bay, N to NE is great there.

Fogland R.I., in the cove, similar to Ningret but a little deeper, little more chop, very safe in cove.

Nelson St, Plymouth, enclosed, very mellow, closer than cape, shallow at low tide but sailable, some chop at high tide. Pics of all these sites are on my blog if you want to bother.

Good Luck. Let us know how you do.

JRuffus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautifull....thanks for the feedback that is all really good info and i very much appreciate your time!!!!!!!!!
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add to Scopper's insight on Pleaant Bay. The Chatham side of the bay, accessable directly off of route 28 has plenty of parking and is not subject to tides or currents in this area.

Also a NE wind funnels into the end of the Bay which means that you are never far from a shore.

Although I'd like bigger wave conditions, it suits me fine when sailling on my own.

RC
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRuffus, I hope you let us know how you fared. I agree with Ron that Pleasant Bay is about the best place for a beginnerish windsurfer in a NE. It's no where near as gusty as Waquoit Bay in the same winds. However, it can be rough in the middle if the winds are stronger than 20 knots. You can sail shore to shore on long reaches. Both sides of the bay have sand beaches with shallow waters. The far eastern end can be real shallow which can make it quite beginner friendly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: