myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Los Barriles Accomodation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clebeck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Los Barriles Accomodation? Reply with quote

Planning to fly to Los Barriles Dec.20—Jan.4 and bring own gear. Anyone have recommendations in terms of accommodation / places to stay for two persons? Might try to do without a rental car, so places at the beach / close to the main sailing would probably work best. Any info / intelligence highly appreciated.
pshaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Accomodations in Los Barrilles Reply with quote

Whether you rent a car or take a taxi (taxis are about $80 from San Jose del Cabo to Los Barrilles), you will want to stay at some place that has access to the water. The beachfront is wall-to-wall occupied with houses and hotels, with only a few access points.

There are basically three hotels on the beach at LB: Verdugo's RV park, campground, and hotel and the Playa del Sol and Las Palmas de Cortes. The last two are commonly owned. Playa del Sol is where Vela has its operation. Verdugo's is next door. Both of these hotels are what I would call medium scale in facilities. Las Palmas de Cortes is much more up-scale. It is also more of a walk up the beach (about 1/4 mile) and upwind to the best put in for windsurfing. I would recommend either Verdugo's or Playa del Sol. You will not be able to leave your gear overnight on the beach.

There are also various campgrounds and houses for rent. Just be sure that they have easy beach access.

Martin Verdugo's Beach Resort
Apdo Postal 17
Los Barriles, B.C.S. Mexico 23501
On beach of Bahia de Palmas, 1/2
mile east of Hwy. 1. Partially shaded
area with level sites. 69 RV sites, 25
tent sites. Full Hook-ups. Flush toilets
showers, laundry. Adjacent to Restaurant
& Bar. Also has small hotel.
http://www.verdugosbeachresort.com/pages/contact.html

Hotel Palmas de Cortez and Playa del Sol
http://www.vanwormerresorts.com/playadelsol.htm (owner)
http://www.loscabosguide.com/palmasdecortez/index.html
dsiskind2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at playa del sol with Vela and had a nice experience. The food was simple but tasty. The accommodations were also simple clean and adequate. Its right on the beach and would give you the extra option of renting gear or a mountain bike from Vela if you wanted to try something different or if something of yours broke.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rented houses about 5 times. But you either need to be close to the beach or have a car. there are a couple of firms that handle houses, try "East Cape rental property" and see what you get.
allen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.abajavacation.com/
blireef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Los Barriles Reply with quote

Are you going to rent a car? If you are you will have a much better chance of finding a reasonable deal on a house this time of year which is the top of the season. Vela is probably booked this time of year, Martins' may be full also. If you email me your exact dates I'll check into options for you and prices.. I DON'T DO THIS FOR A LIVING.. Big Jim Los Barriles
blireef@juno.com
clebeck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for taking the time to offer thoughtful comments and advice - highly appreciated! I rented a place on the beach a bit south from Vela and expect to get a car so I can go to North beach when necessary. See you on the water down there! Very Happy
Best,
C
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, is that BigJim from Alaska fishing fame?
Like been down since forever and has a house there?
YZ426?
Good experience and a great guy! Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: