myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Garmin Forerunner GPS in salt?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artnvicky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Garmin Forerunner GPS in salt? Reply with quote

I have a friend who wears this type of GPS on her wrist in fresh water every weekend through the summer, with no problems (yet). Has anybody been bold enough to try wearing this GPS in salt water? It's supposed to be "waterproof" to 1 meter for 30 minutes. This sounds a bit weak for "waterproof" to me. I'm talking about the rechargeable, sealed version, not the one that uses 2 AAA cells.
GGSkater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Forerunner not really waterproof in my experience Reply with quote

Your friend may have either never gotten the device wet, has a well-sealed model, or has been lucky. I had a Forerunner 305 that got immersed when I was kayaking in a shallow river and it failed permanently.

The waterproof you mention of 1 meter is probaly the static test standard. While somewhat waterproof, I think it may only stand up to rain and static immersion at a very shallow level--any thrashing or splashing about and water may get in the device. You could put in a waterproof Aquapac or other to ensure the device doesn't get wet.

Garmin was pretty good about fixing my failed 305, but the HR monitor never worked again so I use the 305 for "riskier" water activity and then splurged on a Edge 705 for my cycling / fitness activity. The 705 is really, really cool for biking. I don't know how the ancillary webtool GarminConnect will work out, but its fun to use the Motionbased webtool (a company in Sausalito, CA that Garmin bought and will migrate to GarminConnect) because with Motionbased you can watch your entire session where you were on GoogleEarth, with a dot moving around the map in a recording of your session.

(You may want to check out motionbased.com and its forum for further thoughts on Garmin, "waterproof", and other topics).
tpeacock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Garmin in salt water Reply with quote

I have used a couple of different garmins on my kayak in fresh and salt water and both have lasted a few years. The secret is vaseline! or some type of grease I placed the vaseline on the PC contacts of my 205. that way the contacts dont corrode then leave an opening to the inside of the device. I also have another that takes AA batteries. Its a mess but I put vaseline all over the inside of the battery box as well as the PC contacts.

T
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a GT11 and GT31 they have a great water proofed rating however I put them in a "aqua bag", when you crash with 25 miles in the water the impact will create a higher water pressure then the 1 or 10 meter they are rated for. I would recommend to use a Aqua bag for your Garmin or any brand GPS for "Windsurfing" use.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
noflyzoneallstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Forerunner 205 and use it for windsurfing occasionally, on flat water where I suspect I'll be able to go relatively fast. I strap it to the mast just above the boom and it spends very little time actually underwater. Rinse with fresh water after each use and it's fine after 6-7 sessions so far.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All above suggestions have merit, probably better is purchase a water proof pouch for it.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iw.net/~cbergh/

Craig organizes Speed event's and he uses the Aqua Pac, I have one too and next to the GPS the Cellphone and key fits in too. I use it since 2 years never broke and still water tight despite some nasty crashes in 30 knots +.

Juerg

www.kasail.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
gvictor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Tape it with electrical tape Reply with quote

I used a Forerunner (the USB one) successfully in Kailua Bay for maybe a dozen sessions. I would tape the USB flap thing with electircal tape and that worked well. One day I was too excited to get out on the water and I forgot the tape and that was the end of that toy.
gvictor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Tape it with electrical tape Reply with quote

I used a Forerunner (the USB one) successfully in Kailua Bay for maybe a dozen sessions. I would tape the USB flap thing with electircal tape and that worked well. One day I was too excited to get out on the water and I forgot the tape and that was the end of that toy.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I met one guy at a salt water locale that was wearing a G@rmin on his wrist. He never mentioned having trouble with it and was all raves. Now we see a little of the dark side to them. Back in the early 70's the stock market advice was to never invest in anything that plugs into a computer. Often I wonder if that wasn't sound advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: