myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing near Tulum Mexico?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajrace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Windsurfing near Tulum Mexico? Reply with quote

On my way to Tulum on Firday Dec. 19 for a week. Anybody know what my chances are to windsurf? I'm an East Coast Mass sailor.
mikecole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a day you may be able to sail on Cozumel. You can get a ferry to Cozumel in Playa del Carmen. After arriving at the ferry terminal on Cozumel you can hire a taxi to take you to a windsurfing concession run by a guy named Raul. I think the beach/hotel is called Playa Azul?

It might be possible to find a reasonable kit for hire in Playa del Carmen?

I sailed out of Rauls place about 4 or 5 years ago...

Good luck!

Mike
paulch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you end up finding a spot to sail and rent gear?
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Cozumel too back in the 90's during a warm, tropical storm. Actually went there for a scuba diving vacation, but was pleasantly surprised to see that they had decent windsurf rental gear. Sailing during the tropical storm was trippy. Kind of like sailing during a rain in Maui, (goggles desired) but in Cozumel, the water, the air, and the rain itself were warmer, so it didn't feel unpleasant at all. Felt like sailing in soup.

Remember: No matter what, DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!! (including iced coctails [think margaritas] and don't eat any fruit that's been pre-sliced or opened [think breakfast fruit bowls]. I learned the hard way. While it was a great trip otherwise, the diving and Chichen Itza (sp?) was amazing, I haven't gone back since then, due to the strong "associations" I acquired as a result of my bacterial encounter Smile Sad
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Montezuma's Reply with quote

My brother has a good friend who offers that the mexican food can't be any good unless you are afraid of the restaurant! He'll eat absolutely anywhere. So, does this protect someone from getting sick in Mexico? Does exposure to many of the viruses and bacteria of Mexico precondition you for later exposure? I've eaten food in many cases where the clerks/waiters didn't really speak any english, such as around Watsonville. I've not been sick the few times I went to Mexico and pretty much ate everything, but obviously I may have just been lucky (the same in DR).
victor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son almost died after eating at Planet Hollywood in Cabo San Lucas. Another person in our party also got really sick. The waiter speaking English didn't help.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like straightforward food poisoning, like Salmonella tainted peanut paste as is currently in the news. You have a 1 in 4 chance every year of having food poisoning in the USA; much more in developing countries. And of course that has nothing to do with speaking spanish. Exposure to "their bacteria and viruses" is what is commonly called Montezuma's revenge. Be aware that they can react to our Bact/Viruses as well and get sick with diarrhea etc. when they come up here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: