myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nags Head area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Nags Head area Reply with quote

Taking a short trip (4 days) to stay at a house in Nags Head in about a week, is it worth taking gear? Where should I sail, are there any good wave spots nearby or is it sound sailing. I cant really drive too far since im a guest at a girlfriends house (ie they probably want me around a bit). Let me know where you would sail if you have been there. Thanks
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your gear..........there is public access to the Sound at Windmill Point or at Jockey's Ridge......easy launch and plenty of parking in both places. Windmill Point is shallow for miles so it is generally fairly flat. Jockey's Ridge has shallow and deeper water, so you'll get more swells. The weather is supposed to warm up a lot over the next few days......and since the Sound water is so shallow it warms up quickly so it may well be in the 50s. You'll find wave sailing at Jennette's Pier. All these places should be within 5 minutes of your house.

Unfortunately won't be there for a couple of weeks or I'd sail with you. If you want more info send me a PM.
1aloop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take you gear, this time of year can be really good, four days is enough to likely get at least one day in and it may be a great one.
btbill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, definitely bring gear if coming to Nags Head! Plenty of opportunity for time on the water at any of the spots mentioned. Also, Coquina Beach is a great wave sailing spot if the wind is S or NW, and is located just south of the town limit in S Nags Head, across from Bodie Island Lighthouse.

For more on Nags Head sailing and specifically Jockey's Ridge, check out:
http://obxbeachlife.blogspot.com/search?q=jockeys+ridge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: