myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast breakage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loonie2

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Mast breakage Reply with quote

Im considering 75% carbon 430 mast. Anyone heard of breakage problems @ this carbon content (non-surf conditions).
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: RE: Mast breakage Reply with quote

Loonie,
Sure 75% can break, 50% can break too. I just had a 50% crack at the ferrule. The funny and fortunate thing, I was able to sail in, it was just bent. 30% seems to be very safe. Others have raved about skinnys especially in 430 and shorter and theyre about the same price as 75%.
shitan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: RE: Mast breakage Reply with quote

Buy brand new for warranty purposes. All masts break in surf or flat water.
Agressive sailors are more likely to break masts and booms. RDM [skinny masts] seem to be more durable but they dont rig well on older and cambered sails .
More carbone means lightness and responsiveness, masts w/lower carbone %tage are heavier, bend more on the top part, more shock resistant, harder to pump...
Remember buy BRAND new.
loonie2

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Mast breakage Reply with quote

Thanks on all responses! Skinny is a consideration. North has a 65% carbon Needle that appears to allow use of the standard base/extension yet is designed for wave with a skinny design/thick wall etc. Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.
shitan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Mast breakage Reply with quote

It sounds like a good choice, no shim or skinny extention are needed.
Recently i landed up side down, my mast head was three feet in the mud, my board was spinning around in the air for a good 2 mins before i could pull the damn thing out of the mud...I sailed a way. It was a skinny mast, going back in time, my brand new regular mast broke while rigging [ 5 times on the water], the other one broke after used 25 times, right above the boom, it was brand new and regular as well. Now i have 2 skinnies that im pretty happy with.
shitan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Mast breakage Reply with quote

I guess its a little bit of luck and also agressiveness. I always pump hard and go for the big jump... but the mast breakage i had was not based on meterial fatigue it was my luck. Powerex Wave and Fiberspar Qt6000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: