myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Disappointing Again
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bharrisks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Dont think this fall (or last spring) is typical. Ive never seen a lamer fall in decades of sailing here, and spring was also sub-par right up to late May. Id be extremely upset about this fall if it would do any good.

We should have gotten several decent westerly days in Sept, with more in Oct, plus 10-15 strong easterly days beginning as early as late August. Even our fallback location, the N-S stretch well north of the TriCities, has been dead so far, and it often blows a few times in the fall right up the river for decent swell. This fall? Not once.

The seasons not over, and I dont do gloves, but as $#!++% as its been since early Sept, my hopes are waning. I dont recall a stretch this dead this long in many years.

I hope thats encouraging, not discouraging.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Barrisks,
Im thinking you wont be happy anyplace with this dismal attitude. There is no perfect place with <4.5 wind and fresh powder all the time.
There ARE other things to do besides w.s.ing and skiing. You have to find it and make it happen, maybe even drive to it. It aint going to knock on your door.
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Dude, mountain biking in the Gorge has been great this year... lots of cool temps with no wind makes for ideal conditions. Need to get a good full suspension bike and ride!!
bharrisks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
bharrisks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Well, now that we know who to blame..... perhaps we should do something about it, eh Mike? How bout we tie up bharrisks on Wells Island and offer him up to the wind gods? Smile

-- Wind Mountain Pete
carl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Barrisks,
Hey, the bay area gets just as lousy for wind this time of year, EVERY year. Do you hear me using foul words? no. I adjust my expectations and have a good time whatever im doing. Ya know I actually like sailing a 9.0 in flat water when everybody else is sitting around ragging that the ski season hasnt started yet and probably wont til december. But im not even trying to compare it to the last 4.5 day i had. Plus I stay in shape for when the wind does blow.
Enjoy the moment for what it is, you dont need adrenelin all the time to enjoy life. You live in one of the more beautiful parts of the country, get out and explore it with someone.

Or i guess you could try Prozac, beer and watching football!! :>)
elliot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

AHHH so YOUR the JINX! Just kidding. The wind will come back as well as the snow. I have been here 12 years now and still enjoying every day. Many other things to do while not sailing or skiing. Remember you live in one of the best outdoor recreation areas.

Elliot
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

I agree that very few locally practical sports compare to WSing in classic Gorge conditions. But three months? We start sailing, usually on 4.2s or smaller, in late Mar or early April. April and May CAN blow hard and very often; this year they provided only a dozen good days. Sep and Oct have sucked (but I was wrong earlier; this year is only a little worse than some recent years have been, according to friends who keep logs), but are good some years. One guy I know clocked 26 good days in Sep alone one year (but then a couple of hours wears him out), virtually all in your front yard, and one May blew hard 26 days out east.

Yes, the WSing press -- whatever that is -- blows a lot harder and more often than the actual wind does, even more so in certain other mainland hot spots.

But lemme ask ya . . . do you know of a better spot, all things considered, to live at for summertime (i.e., April - Sept)WSing? If so, let me know; Im free to move when I find it.

I once met a large auto dealership owner who was wearing a tie clip bearing the letters YCDBSOYA . . . You Cant Do Business Sitting On Your Ass. We need to find you a tie clip that says YCWSSOYA.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: