myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Disappointing Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Yup. Lessee . . .
Very good fishing
VG mountain biking
Good dirt biking
Good snow sports
Great windSURFing
Great Formula sailing
VG sailboating
Good kiting
Good wakeboarding
Great jet-skiing
Good white water
VG ocean surf/sail
Great hiking
Rock-climbing?
VG weather 7/months/yr
Great sports shopping

If I hadnt voluntarily dropped all my other sports for a variety of reasons, Id hardly have time to sleep here all year, just like back when I was very engaged in four sports 4-5-6 days a week.

Sounds like three problems:
1. Moving here without verifying the wind hype,
2. Wanting everything given to him (I can guess which way his political wind blows), and
3. Being a natural whiner.

#1 is partly correctable with a second winter home and more driving. #2 and #3 are learned, highly overlapping behaviors which CAN be corrected with great effort or an epiphany.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Just like political hype, you have to verify where the wind hype is coming from. The 2 magazines from this continent are both based near the east coast, where wind is normally light in the summer. Just so happens summers a great time for a vacation in the gorge!! BTW ive never seen an article about moving there, just the awesome sailing while the editors were there.

Yup. Lessee . . .
Very good fishing
VG mountain biking
Good dirt biking
Good snow sports
Great windSURFing
Great Formula sailing
VG sailboating
Good kiting
Good wakeboarding
Great jet-skiing
Good white water
VG ocean surf/sail
Great hiking
Rock-climbing?
VG weather 7/months/yr
Great sports shopping

If I hadnt voluntarily dropped all my other sports for a variety of reasons, Id hardly have time to sleep here all year, just like back when I was very engaged in four sports 4-5-6 days a week.

Sounds like three problems:
1. Moving here without verifying the wind hype,
2. Wanting everything given to him (I can guess which way his political wind blows), and
3. Being a natural whiner.

#1 is partly correctable with a second winter home and more driving. #2 and #3 are learned, highly overlapping behaviors which CAN be corrected with great effort or an epiphany.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

I do agree with one aspect of Barrisks Lament: I wish all to hell this place blew more often! Ive enjoyed many other sports, and all things considered, I have yet to find one that compares to classic Gorge windsurfing, and despite chasing wind to hell and back for 6-9 months a year for close to 20 years now, I get all I want of it maybe 2-3 individual days a year, with NEVER enough of it in any week or month, let alone season.

But until bharrisks gets serious about chasing the wind, I have little synpathy for his lament. There are hundreds of hours -- thousands of miles -- more wind out there than he gives the Gorge credit for.
YCWSSOYA!

Now *I*, of course, DO chase it, and chased it even harder years ago, so my whining is OK . . . right?
RIGHT? -)

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

If you didnt sail today, we have evel LESS sympathy. Patches of liquid smoke, swell hitting head high at times midriver and crashing well over the jetty at Arlington, 4 hours of 5.2 or better (mostly 3.0-3.5), water still very comfortable barefoot, partly cloudy to bright blue skies -- classic fall Gorge sailing.

Mike \m/
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

My last day of windsurfing for the season was Oct 26 (Dougs) and my first day of skiing was Nov 6 (T-Line). That leaves 10 days of the shoulder season between sports for me. Seeing as I had to work all day on 8 of those days, and had a great hike on one of the other days, it didnt leave me much time to get bored.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Sundays your chance to prove youre willing to put forth the effort required to make the Gorge work. With a forecast of wind in the 30-40 mph range, air temps hitting 60, and water temps still comfy barefooted, youre out of excuses not to head east. Ya gots to put yer gasoline where your mouth is or qwitcherbitchin.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Fugheddabout 30-40 mph breezes; now theyre forecasting it to actually get windy, as in 40-60, with partly cloudy skies and no rain after dawn. THATS the Gorge shoulder seasons for ya. Sgonna be a SWELL time.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Plus, the ski areas have opened up there already, shoulder season, what shoulder season???
Bharrisks its sad only hearing complaints, wheres the compliments?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

CRAP! Couldnt anyone have forecast this gut-blasting east wind? Full nuke, according to the plots, and not a hint from the iW tabular forecast, NOAA, the 9-panel, Petes chimes, mm5, etc.? Yeah, I know iWs windbow alluded to it, but their tabular forecast denied it -- as it does today. So do we drive > 300 miles for tomorrow under the same lopsided set of circumstances, or is someone else willing to step uo to the plate and reinforce the windbow?

And bharrisks better be there all three days or be branded as just so much noise.

Mike \m/
bharrisks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Disappointing Again Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: