myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When your Harness Breaks...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

I had a great time sailing Aruba a couple weeks ago but about a mile out in offshore winds, my harness hook snapped off.

I tried to muscle it in but my arms just got too burned out and I had to swim my rig back for a mile for 40 minutes.

While I was pretty ticked off during the one arm stroke one arm rig holding, all I could think afterward was how lucky I was to have this happen in 70 degree Aruba water and not Kalmus or West Dennis in 40-50 degree April/May conditions.

Does anyone have any tips/jerry rig solutions for a quick fix back in incase this happens again?
hilton08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

Just be thankful you didnt break a mast. At least you could sail part of the way back.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

I swim hundreds of yards quite often, half a mile way too often, and close to a mile a couple-three times a year. Tips:
1. Conditioning.
2. Side stroke; one hand on gear, other arm and legs doin the side stroke.
3. Lie on back, both calves resting on board nose, and back stroke with both arms in unison (the inverted breast stroke.)

That . . . or tie/strap/snag your harness to the boom somehow and pray.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

Note to LeeD: Although moving the foot forward would help, I dont think its a good idea to loosen the mast foot a mile offshore, in chop.

As for sailing without the hook: sail with your arms fully extended, you wont use the muscles so much. As LeeD said, slogging upwind may be easier, bury the windward rail.

Also a good idea to replace the spreader bar hook every few years, especially if you sail salt water, they corrode. Theyre not that expensive, cheep insurance.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

Move forward out of the straps as Lee said, but also leave your front hand on the mast below the boom and use your back hand to feather the sail. Dont put both hands on the boom! You want to minimize the power in the sail. Keeping your front hand on the mast will reduce the strain on your arms.

Coachg
dougal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

just curius what you were doing a mile offshore in Aruba? in those conditions, is it any different 100 yds offshore?
duracell

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

Dont know what the regular conditions are where you were surfing. Here we have either strong offshore winds or light to medium onshore ones. While sailing the offshore winds I ALWAYS make sure I use my newest (if not brand new) stuff like: harness lines, harness seat / hook, mastfoot, all lines, safe boom/mast, screws etc..
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. Hopefully, I wont have to put it into practice but its good to have some options.

Much appreciated!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

Ive seen numerous new unis fail on their first day, even in their first 100 meters. Ive seen two new masts snap in their first reach, and two boards fail in their first reach.

Offshore-wind sailing is risky business.

Mike \m/
prev1

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: RE: When your Harness Breaks... Reply with quote

If you had a spare piece of rope, you could have tied yourself to the boom once under way. I carry one wraped around my boom pad and one in the pocket of my harness. I have used it two times when my harness line failed. Regarding gear failure, it happens even when new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: